Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The "Official" Albion Fan Advisory Board thread

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Can they ask the caterers to introduce a queueing system for the serving booths?
People queue straight outwards and are blocking people trying to make their way along the concourses.
It wasn’t too much of a problem in the North or on the odd occasion that I have been in the WSL as the concourses are that much wider, but after recently changing my ST to the WSU, where the concourses are narrower it is a right pain.
Same request for a queuing system in East Upper. I walk with a stick and often find it hard to get through from the lift to the stairs for my seat due to the queues for the kiosks going all the way to the back of the concourse. Would be good if there was a 'must be kept free' walkway section but realise that policing it would be difficult.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I would like to know, why Albion mugs sold in the shop aren't dishwasher friendly? People scoff at this honest request, but they're not cheap so a little protection in production, rather than me having to mod podge them would really help ???
Is washing up REALLY so hard ?

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017

I'm just about to bring a six year old to join the BHAFC ride and if you think I'm going to be able to do YouTube vids practice in advance, to learn the words you're mistaken!! My Jnr's did that, I didn't, and still can't remember the words!
'We plough and sow and reap and mow, And useful men are we' (yes I did Google that) is not likely to stick inside a six year olds head. It's not the simplest of songs!
I request it to be switched to 'going up to win the cup' for cup matches, as that's how it always was. (y)

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I know that Paul Barber has deflected questions about transport to and from the ground in the past. However, it has become the biggest difficulty about match day for many ( probably most ) people. It would be nice to know if the club acknowledge that and if there are any possible improvements being pursued. There are lots and lots of ideas on various threads on here.

Also, seriously, it would be well worth Paul Barber travelling to a game or two by P&R or train just to get a sense of why this is an issue to fans. ( I wouldn't be at all surprised if Tony Bloom would also be well up for this.) Hopefully it will piss down on the day he chooses........

This is mainly important because of the match day experience but surely the club and players would also prefer that the stands remain as full as possible until the end og games.
The idea that having Paul or Tony sat on a bench - which often comes up here - or shuffling along queues outside Falmer station preferably without an umbrella is a) something the FAB should legitimately lobby for or b) imagine it’s the solution to anything - the club have a staff of hundreds, they have cctv footage everywhere and real time data to monitor flow and in/outs of fans, timings etc - of course they’re aware and c) arguing that although they say they can’t control strikes or delays on the A27 is the same as saying they’re not engaged with the issue or working through improvements that are feasible is perplexing. .There’s an existing review of the transport scheme underway - which I believe the FAB are engaged with / reasons for last seasons survey and two recent examples - club recently faced down the PL over a Boxing Day fixture citing transport issues. The fanzone also is a considerable investment from TB - admittedly to help with catering income but also designed to ease transport flow and improve fan experience.

Specific issues re: P&R etc I’m sure are always welcome but wanting PB or Tony - who still travels to the odd away game on trains anyway - to wait for a bus or something . Really ?

Last edited:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I'm just about to bring a six year old to join the BHAFC ride and if you think I'm going to be able to do YouTube vids practice in advance, to learn the words you're mistaken!! My Jnr's did that, I didn't, and still can't remember the words!
'We plough and sow and reap and mow, And useful men are we' (yes I did Google that) is not likely to stick inside a six year olds head. It's not the simplest of songs!
I request it to be switched to 'going up to win the cup' for cup matches, as that's how it always was. (y)
WokeWatch will be paying me a visit for this one, but as football attracts a lot of females these days I feel the 'men' thing can change. I'm renowned for the love of the word 'folk' so I think it's a great substitute.

I'll get my tin hat now for the outrage :D

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
The idea that having Paul or Tony sat on a bench - which often comes up here - or shuffling along queues outside Falmer station preferably without an umbrella is a) something the FAB should legitimately lobby for or b) imagine it’s the solution to anything - the club have a staff of hundreds, they have cctv footage everywhere and real time data to monitor flow and in/outs of fans, timings etc - of course they’re aware and c) arguing that although they say they can’t control strikes or delays on the A27 is the same as saying they’re not engaged with the issue or working through improvements that are feasible is perplexing. .There’s an existing review of the transport scheme underway - which I believe the FAB are engaged with / reasons for last seasons survey and two recent examples - club recently faced down the PL over a Boxing Day fixture citing transport issues. The fanzone also is a considerable investment from TB - admittedly to help with catering income but also designed to ease transport flow and improve fan experience.

Specific issues re: P&R etc I’m sure are always welcome but wanting PB or Tony - who still travels to the odd away game on trains anyway - to wait for a bus or something . Really ?
Your first sentence is amazingly long. Those 113 words finally end with "....is perplexing" and a full-stop. Phew, I think I got there . But more important, are you saying that it's absurd that senior club management should try to experience what normal fans go through every home game?

Early in my career (1980s), i was encouraged to read books by a bloke called Tom Peters who was, and still is, regarded as being a pioneer of the customer service revolution. His thing was "Management by Walking About". It was a very simple concept -- that the very top management of businesses (even the biggest blue-chip companies) should make the effort to spend a little time on the shop-floor, or walking around their shops and offices and warehouses, preferably incognito, to experience what it's like to be a customer or lowly member of staff. And that in this way, they would gain a much sharper understanding of the challenges facing the business. Sadly, this superb idea seems to have gone out the window in the last few years. Witness the difficulty in actually contacting many large companies these days. Impossible to call them on the phone. Often no email or postal address available. Just an AI-style website FAQ with no obvious way to talk to a human.

Anyway, the point is... that asking senior managers to get their hands dirty from time to time should not be laughed off as a stupid waste of time. Checking CCTV, or dispatching eager young flunkies to go and witness the problems first hand, and ask them to submit a report about it, is a total cop-out. Moreover, I suspect that none of these monitors are elderly or disabled people, or women with a couple of kids.

I like so much about Albion and the way we operate. But the transport issue is a massive glaring failure. I'll emphasise what I said before, that the real frustration is that so little is said publicly. Yes, there was a survey. No, there has been no feedback or even acknowledgement that it happened, or any interim feedback. No "we feel your pain" statements from the club. Just total silence. The attitude is: "If we say nothing, it will go away."

It's a really hard problem to solve, we know. But let's acknowledge, as a club and community, that the problem exists. Let's talk about it openly, and let's come up with practical solutions, or at least gradual improvements.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Your first sentence is amazingly long. Those 113 words finally end with "....is perplexing" and a full-stop. Phew, I think I got there . But more important, are you saying that it's absurd that senior club management should try to experience what normal fans go through every home game?

Early in my career (1980s), i was encouraged to read books by a bloke called Tom Peters who was, and still is, regarded as being a pioneer of the customer service revolution. His thing was "Management by Walking About". It was a very simple concept -- that the very top management of businesses (even the biggest blue-chip companies) should make the effort to spend a little time on the shop-floor, or walking around their shops and offices and warehouses, preferably incognito, to experience what it's like to be a customer or lowly member of staff. And that in this way, they would gain a much sharper understanding of the challenges facing the business. Sadly, this superb idea seems to have gone out the window in the last few years. Witness the difficulty in actually contacting many large companies these days. Impossible to call them on the phone. Often no email or postal address available. Just an AI-style website FAQ with no obvious way to talk to a human.

Anyway, the point is... that asking senior managers to get their hands dirty from time to time should not be laughed off as a stupid waste of time. Checking CCTV, or dispatching eager young flunkies to go and witness the problems first hand, and ask them to submit a report about it, is a total cop-out. Moreover, I suspect that none of these monitors are elderly or disabled people, or women with a couple of kids.

I like so much about Albion and the way we operate. But the transport issue is a massive glaring failure. I'll emphasise what I said before, that the real frustration is that so little is said publicly. Yes, there was a survey. No, there has been no feedback or even acknowledgement that it happened, or any interim feedback. No "we feel your pain" statements from the club. Just total silence. The attitude is: "If we say nothing, it will go away."

It's a really hard problem to solve, we know. But let's acknowledge, as a club and community, that the problem exists. Let's talk about it openly, and let's come up with practical solutions, or at least gradual improvements.
Ha. I’ll try some short sentences !!

I saw Barber sitting in the stands at Crawley yesterday watching the WSL game on the TV. He spends hours each year listening to fans in various boards and groups and chats and emails. Bloom funds a supporter services function to a level - higher than nearly any other PL club to help fans with ticketing and other issues. It’s hardly all automated and AI bots as testimony on NSC frequently illustrates etc. The FAB have already made some improvements with disabled facilities thanks to their lobbying. And the club have agreed to review transport issues with the FAB

Agreed - nothing wrong at all in expecting senior mgt to understand better the fan experience and directly too. . Lots of ways to do that and it’s extremely beneficial - Not sure though that’s really something that PB or TB or more importantly the senior staff who work for them - are guilty of - certainly compared to most clubs. And I’m not sure rather glib hopes that they should spend more time in the Falmer car park in the rain gets us anywhere - as if it’s only that which is preventing progress here.

Sorry. Some long sentences again !!

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Tony Bloom often gets the train with fans to away games. I’ve also seen him on the train from Lewes to Falmer on a home game day (admittedly one of of the earlier ones, I guess he has stuff to do at the ground).

Suggesting he and Paul are out of touch when it comes to transport is, frankly, odd.

Are these sentences simple enough for you?

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Anyway, the point is... that asking senior managers to get their hands dirty from time to time should not be laughed off as a stupid waste of time. Checking CCTV, or dispatching eager young flunkies to go and witness the problems first hand, and ask them to submit a report about it, is a total cop-out

I guess you forgot this

I can’t think of a football club Chairman anymore invested in a ‘hands on’ approach to management than Tony Bloom but then again, not all football club Chairmans also experience what it’s like to be a fan or travel on trains with them

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

We don’t sing that second verse so don’t need to know anything about ploughing or mowing 👍

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Ask a world famous DJ to help with the pre and post match music / atmosphere, sure there must be one in the Brighton area …

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Tbf I think @ColonelMustard acknowledges Tony Bloom and Paul Barber are exceptional and we have a brilliantly run club. I took his central point as being he feels there is still insufficient recognition of the difficulties in the transport to and particularly from the Amex, and he thinks further communication from the club about what they are doing in this regard would be welcomed.
Apologies if I’m wrong.

medwayseagull reborn

Oct 12, 2022
I disagree with this. Think it encourages people to sing, many of whom wouldnt otherwise.

Let’s not forget it wasn’t long ago we were playing in front of 7k every week. We don’t have a large group of long term fans.
They should have an additional set of screen lyrics in japanese. 😉

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Can we put out a consultation / survey on fan-zone in its entirety to gage a consensus and actually act on the findings.

Music choice / words on screen / Reynolds lose script, the lot please.

Personally think it needs an overhaul to build the atmosphere. Hey Jude / Put your hands up for a Brighton are imho nag and cringeworthy.

If only we had a successful DJ ( not the Dutch one) in the fanbase that could be consulted for an uplifting 10-15 musical set.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Tony Bloom often gets the train with fans to away games. I’ve also seen him on the train from Lewes to Falmer on a home game day (admittedly one of of the earlier ones, I guess he has stuff to do at the ground).

Suggesting he and Paul are out of touch when it comes to transport is, frankly, odd.

Are these sentences simple enough for you?
Nothing odd about it. Barbers attitude towards the cost of a roof over the queues would change sharpish if he was stood in them in the pissing rain every week.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Nothing odd about it. Barbers attitude towards the cost of a roof over the queues would change sharpish if he was stood in them in the pissing rain every week.
:lolol:

If you think covering all of both train queues and the park and ride queues is in any way practical you don't really know anything about anything.

And if we're talking about prioritising money I'd rather have cover at full back and a new winger thanks :thumbsup:

Last week a bit of beer, this week a bit of rain. No wonder the rest of the league think we're middle class pussies.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
:lolol:

If you think covering all of both train queues and the park and ride queues is in any way practical you don't really know anything about anything.

And if we're talking about prioritising money I'd rather have cover at full back and a new winger thanks :thumbsup:

Last week a bit of beer, this week a bit of rain. No wonder the rest of the league think we're middle class pussies.

You really are trying to vie with Chailey for title of NSC's most condescending and-yet very obviously wrong bore aren't you?

6meters wide - 20meters long - £92k

We'd need what, 5, possibly 10? So that's about 500k-£1mil of expenses. I reckon the club can find that money from somewhere? Obvious first point of savings in my view would be stop wasting money on a women's team who will never win anything.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
You really are trying to vie with Chailey for title of NSC's most condescending and-yet very obviously wrong bore aren't you?

6meters wide - 20meters long - £92k

We'd need what, 5, possibly 10? So that's about 500k-£1mil of expenses. I reckon the club can find that money from somewhere? Obvious first point of savings in my view would be stop wasting money on a women's team who will never win anything.
Five minute job. I'm surprised PBOBE hasn't approached you to project manage it.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Upper Block was available on first day as I got tickets in there.
Which upper block?
Only SU1 was available at 9:00 but I've no doubt SU2 & 3 came online later. My friend has trouble standing and so we get front row seats. Going to every game home & away we are in the top tier and able to buy the front seats. But that's only if they are available from the start.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here