• You're trying to make me choose a favourite child

Votes: 26 34.7%

• Total voters

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I've only just watched the whole thing back from when Steele first had the ball, the swift movement upfield, the retaining of possession, patiently working the ball around, retreating back to Steele before we pushed forward again with deadly intent and Enciso's thunderbastard.

The previously much-circulated clip just shows Steele -> Colwill -> Enciso, and doesn't do our play any real justice at all, unlike the full thing from when Steele was first in possession in the tweet below.

The whole thing is so fantastic that I wonder if it's actually better than Enciso's brilliant finish that topped it all off.

So, what say you?

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
When I watched the game again last night I was amazed at just how much space first Colwill, and then Enciso, seemed to have to run into. Once Colwill receives the ball, neither he nor Enciso has a City player within five yards prior to Julio's thunderstrike.

I'm no tactical expert, but I presume (from City's perspective) that was because they were playing man-to-man? Stones goes with Enciso halfway inside Albion's half as the ball is played to Colwill, but as Julio advances Stones sprints back into his CB position. That basically leaves Enciso free (I guess he should have been picked up by Gundogan who had tracked Caicedo deep into Albion's half?).

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
That is total football. Gus Poyet will have watched that and seen his initial tactic played to utter perfection in a much smoother, more sophisticated and technically more proficient way - but that was his idea. What RDZ has done empowering Steele and the defenders and instilling such confidence in them is beyond belief - incredible to see that goal scored by our team but we see them so often. What a time to be alive.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
100% option 3 - there is no way you can vote one or two as it devalues the one you don’t pick. How dare you make me choose between my children - nasty man!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
When I watched the game again last night I was amazed at just how much space first Colwill, and then Enciso, seemed to have to run into. Once Colwill receives the ball, neither he nor Enciso has a City player within five yards prior to Julio's thunderstrike.

I'm no tactical expert, but I presume (from City's perspective) that was because they were playing man-to-man? Stones goes with Enciso halfway inside Albion's half as the ball is played to Colwill, but as Julio advances Stones sprints back into his CB position. That basically leaves Enciso free (I guess he should have been picked up by Gundogan who had tracked Caicedo deep into Albion's half?).
The front 2 just block the ball to the centre halves and Steele had so much time. On this occasion Haaland tries to close Steel with natural instinct, forgetting his instructions. Colwill cleverly moves up the pitch and creates an angle where he can’t be blocked off. Steele cleverly sees the ball is on and delivers it beautifully. That’s how I saw it anyway.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Something I’ve only noticed on my 5th viewing of the goal is how high up the pitch Estupinan is for that passage of play.

Colwill breaks into the space you’d expect Pervis to be occupying.

Stones appears to be tracking Estupinan which creates space for Enciso.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The front 2 just block the ball to the centre halves and Steele had so much time. On this occasion Haaland tries to close Steel with natural instinct, forgetting his instructions. Colwill cleverly moves up the pitch and creates an angle where he can’t be blocked off. Steele cleverly sees the ball is on and delivers it beautifully. That’s how I saw it anyway.
Then Estupinan is in the centre forward spot, Mitoma is bombing forwards, Welbeck is deeper. Stones, Rodri and Walker all effectively panic and don't make the decision to close Enciso. It is incredible how the tactics played out.

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
Watching it back i cannot help but wonder how many fans (in the good old days) would have been groaning and moaning as the ball which had been quickly moved upfield was then passed back not just into our own half but back to Steele!
We have been utterly and truly spoilt this season and i still am having to pinch myself occasionally to make sure that it has not been some glorious dream.
Hopefully i will soon achieve a lifelong held dream to be there as the Albion play a competitive fixture on the continent. Mrs DTH has checked the passport and that is ok, just have to get a ticket now. Though seeing as we will only have a 5% allocation of what will quite likely be a smaller capacity stadium that could well be a problem. Am on tenterhooks now awaiting the draw and the inevitable live thread on this very platform!

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I sent this vid to a Villa-supporting mate earlier as he'd commented on the strike itself last night.

He was pretty non-plussed by the build-up l, asking what the point in anything prior to the final 40 seconds was. I was surprised as he knows his football.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
The finish was once a once in a season type thing (maybe twice with Chelsea...), and whilst the move was delicious, we move the ball round the pitch like that regularly, which in itself is quite an achievement actually!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Then Estupinan is in the centre forward spot, Mitoma is bombing forwards, Welbeck is deeper. Stones, Rodri and Walker all effectively panic and don't make the decision to close Enciso. It is incredible how the tactics played out.
And is why RDZ is so highly thought of. Def another level to any other manager we’ve had with all due respect to them.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It ought to be open for nuanced debate but the shot was absolute perfection.

Had the keeper been remotely close, had the ball kissed the post and/or crossbar, had a defender been close to Enciso or the ball then sure let's talk about the excellent build up play.

But perfection beats excellence - we were just lucky to witness it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here