Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The most ridiculous corporate rebrand ever - and no, it's not Meta

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Standard Life Aberdeen becomes Abrdn. And in a letter to investors they have to explain that the new name is pronounced "Aberdeen". How much do these companies waste on employing brand "experts" to dream up such crap?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
On this topic (well, kinda) I wouldnt mind if the club signed Bob Brereton if he rebranded himself as either Bereton, Breton or worst case even Brerton.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Standard Life Aberdeen becomes Abrdn. And in a letter to investors they have to explain that the new name is pronounced "Aberdeen". How much do these companies waste on employing brand "experts" to dream up such crap?

Far too much but then again these ideas need expensive drug fueled blue sky thinking sessions.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I suspect this is all a ploy to improve the layman's ability in the last round of Only Connect.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
I remember WHSmith having high street signs sticking out from their buildings with just a ! on it. So bleedin helpful when looking for their shop, marketears.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016

I'm struggling to understand how this is news?
It was announced in April - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56888611
It officially went live inJuly - https://www.thetradenews.com/standard-life-aberdeen-completes-rebrand-as-abrdn/

But however old it is, it is still stupid - and the senior managers / board who agreed with the cool and trendy rebranding gurus should never be trusted with anyone else's money again, ever.

(The BBC article does a pretty good job of highlighting how ridiculous it is.)

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Doubly dumb seeing as how Standard Life are based in Ednbrgh

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
My favorite was when National Savings paid a branding consultancy millions with the brief to better reflect that they also offered investments.
National Savings & Investments.

Nice work if you can get it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here