Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Leicester goal

whosthedaddy

striker256
Apr 20, 2007
Hove
The lessons I take away from that last minute goal from the quickly taken corner are this...

1. Leicester are quick thinkers, that is what's required when you play in the PREMIER League, that's why they are near the top of the league
2. Top players can place a ball on a pin-head if they have to as they did from the quick corner
3. You cannot switch off until the game is officially done and you are over the finish line, it's the same thing that is taught in any sport
and
4. Albion players take note, you can play this tactic yourselves in any game, just try it and see how it works out

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The real worry for me is that Albion's chances of getting to Wembley in a cup run are virtually zero if we continue to insist on playing our reserve keeper.

I maintain that Sanchez would have claimed that last-minute corner, and had he done so we could have gone through. He came a lot further to an outswinging corner to take the ball off the head of Mo Salah in the last minute of that Liverpool match (8 yards off his line).

Steele almost threw it away in the previous round vs Newport too.

On the thread where we picked our teams for this match I was in the minority opting to start Sanchez. Why did so many pick Walton? He is clearly an inferior keeper and Leicester are a quality side.

I grew up in the 70s when Ray Clemence started 336 matches in a row for Liverpool from 72-78. His understudy - Ogrizovic - got 5 appearance in 5 years. Walton and Steele combined have played 6 times for the Albion just this season, and with 2 other keepers ahead of them.

Agree with this.

Apart from the fact that we've had a "cup keeper" for as long as I can remember what is the justification for it?

Sanchez tired? hmmm don't think so
To protect Sanchez from injury? Highly cautious
To give Walton experience? He's played getting on for 200 league games
Squad harmony? Waiting for your chance is surely part of the life of a keeper

I do understand rotating round a few outfield players, as they were clearly tiring against Burnley

But all the time we're not playing the best available players, we're not giving ourselves the best chance of winning ... and as we well know, fine margins count.

Sanchez needs every minute he can get on the pitch to improve. We should have played him

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Jimmy Grimble

I actually think part the reason the defenders look so poor for this is an indirect result of the Man United penalty that Maupay gave away.

The way we defended the corner in that game will have been analysed endlessly. One of the outcomes from it would’ve been that as soon as the opposition get a corner, players need to get to their position/zone ASAP so that we don’t end up with a Maguire v Maupay mismatch again.

Cue, several games later, 92nd minute corner, the players conditioned reaction is to get to their position/zone which most of them did or were doing. Unfortunately in that response, no one accounts for or expects a devious striker. The person who should’ve been most aware of that is Walton.

I’m sure they’ll learn from this one like they have from previous set piece mishaps, as like [MENTION=457]sheebo[/MENTION] says, the defending of them has improved markedly.

Last edited:

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Near the end of the Liverpool match Webster was tapping the side of his head and shouting something like “stay switched on “
Needed him there at the end last night.

Completely agree with this, in fact that exact same image was in my head as I traipsed off to play squash after the match yesterday.

More than one commentator/reporter has spoken of how noticeable it has been, since Project Restart, that Webster is by far the most verbal player on the pitch.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Iheanacho almost did a George Parris and hid off the pitch so was unseen, BDB went for the header and was shocked someone was behind him and snuck in for the header. All round unlucky or if you are Leic. LUCKY because I am sure it wasn't planned like that.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
Unfortunately I think Mr Potter does not take the cups seriously ( I had the misfortune to buy a ticket for the Sheff Wed 3rd round cup exit last year) hence his team selection last night and lack of adventure when the game was there for the taking. The team he selected played well and could have gone into extra time and maybe penalties if they hadn't switched off.for the corner.

However, I cannot understand the lack of a recognized striker - if Potter was just fulfilling the fixture why play Dunk, White, Gross etc . He played Maupay against Newport and Blackpool but not Leicester - if he wanted to rest Maupay then give Welbeck or Connolly a run.

Very strange and once again a good opportunity to progress in the Cup thrown away as Leicester didn't look that up for it..:annoyed:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Thought the stills on this thread looked weird. It seems some of our players thought Ian Nacho was getting a ball from off the pitch. Certainly seemed to sneak back on from somewhere. No excuses, but does put a different light on it slightly - and I guess the lesson is to always be on guard...!

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Honestly think Dan Burn is better going forward than defending , he's not rubbish but he is a bit clumsy at times and that is a liability at the back. Personally think Veltman is a better option in the CB role.

The goal was poor defending or a brilliant piece of work ( would we have been able to do the pass, would our striker have got it and scored?) make your choice.

To me it was clear we had no cutting edge, needed to put a better striker option on for Tau and kept Swiss Andy up front and i think we lost it then, had that goal not gone in we would have played another 30 mins and not scored with that line up.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Top players can place a ball on a pin-head if they have to

Maks me think of this videos of Becks knocking some deadballs on the beach... :mad:

(ignore the fact it's a Pepsi ad...I'm sure it's genuine :whistle:)

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Top players can place a ball on a pin-head if they have to

Maks me think of this videos of Becks knocking some deadballs on the beach... :mad:

(ignore the fact it's a Pepsi ad...I'm sure it's genuine :whistle:)

Some Albion players are pretty good at kicking a football into a bin, unfortunately it’s during a match and the bin is behind row Z.
Lallana managed it twice against Leicester. :annoyed:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here