Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] The hunt for Raoul Moat ITV

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Anyone watch it last night?

Gripping stuff, so much so Mrs H and I immediately watched Ep Two on ITVX at 10pm.

So far it’s very detailed but I wonder how they will deal with Gazza’s issues with mental illness during the incident?

Given he’s still alive, and he was not in a good place I hope it’s done tastefully?

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Watched episode one but didn't have time to watch the second. Will watch it tonight though.
Very well done. I remember following it all on TV when it happened, Gazza turning up with some chicken made an already bizarre situation that much weirder.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Watched episode one but didn't have time to watch the second. Will watch it tonight though.
Very well done. I remember following it all on TV when it happened, Gazza turning up with some chicken made an already bizarre situation that much weirder.
So let’s hope the writers are a little bit respectful.

It did say at the beginning that some names had been changed, but given we all know who it is changing Gaza’s name will be pointless.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
From The Independent:

Gascoigne’s involvement in the Moat story will not feature in The Hunt for Raoul Moat, with executive producer Jake Lushington explaining: “The surprise, brief and not very successful intervention from someone famous became a big story at the time but it didn’t change the events at all. We’ve referred to it, but it’s got nothing to do with the story we’re trying to tell.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The problem with this was how the media sensationalised it. The inevitable build up to his very public elimination. It was big news, when it shouldn't have been in such a way as was.

What folk also forget is that the PC he shot eventually died by his own hand two years later. Very tragic.

And all people talk about is Gascoigne. So I'm glad he hasn't been included because it's irrelevant anyway.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
The problem with this was how the media sensationalised it. The inevitable build up to his very public elimination. It was big news, when it shouldn't have been in such a way as was.

What folk also forget is that the PC he shot eventually died by his own hand two years later. Very tragic.

And all people talk about is Gascoigne. So I'm glad he hasn't been included because it's irrelevant anyway.
Totally agree.

This really didn't need to be made into a TV drama, it felt like it was already that at the time the way it was dealt with by the media and general public. People's lives were tragically effected by this and it has always been treated like a soap opera. This is just unnecessary, lazy production.

Jul 7, 2003
Anyone watch it last night?

Gripping stuff, so much so Mrs H and I immediately watched Ep Two on ITVX at 10pm.

So far it’s very detailed but I wonder how they will deal with Gazza’s issues with mental illness during the incident?

Given he’s still alive, and he was not in a good place I hope it’s done tastefully?
Haven't watched it yet as we were watching Scared of the Dark on C4 which also features Gazza. I thought they had stopped him going on shows like the Jungle thing etc because of his mental state and yet they have let him take part in this.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
So let’s hope the writers are a little bit respectful.

It did say at the beginning that some names had been changed, but given we all know who it is changing Gaza’s name will be pointless.
I didn't realise they had omitted Gazza from the program but it's probably for the best as it would possibly take something away from the seriousness of the other events.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I didn't realise they had omitted Gazza from the program but it's probably for the best as it would possibly take something away from the seriousness of the other events.
Just read previous post. Glad they didn't feature him.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I didn’t follow it closely at the time so looking forward to seeing why some people thought the control freak murdering nutter was a legend worthy of being a fan of :shrug:

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I didn’t follow it closely at the time so looking forward to seeing why some people thought the control freak murdering nutter was a legend worthy of being a fan of :shrug:
Probably in the same way Ronnie Kray married twice, and Peter Suttcliffe had dozens of female penpals.

It takes all sorts to make a world, and there's a few odd ones out there.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I found it very disturbing and upsetting.
Halfway through I decided to watch something else because I felt it was doing me no good.
The poor girlfriend and her new boyfriend didn't deserve any of that.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
This. Only remotely interesting things about this control freak murdering nutter was his exotic first name Raoul (Raoul Duke = alter ego of Hunter S Thompson) and the Gazza involvement. Other than that, just another lowlife doing what lowlife does :shrug:

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Watched all 3 episodes on ITV x last night.

I remember it when it happened but some of the detail, like the copper who was blinded committing suicide and the plethora of "Moaty" supporters, presumably as he just wanted to kill cops, was something I'd completely forgotten.

I also don't remember the "long-distance tazer" bit either.

Flagship

Jan 15, 2018
Brighton
I thought it was a great production and the story well recounted. The producers were at pains to stress the affect the shootings had on the families of the victims. One scene showed the family of Chris were worried that people would only remember Moat and forget the victims. Of course this has become the case, and this was highlighted throughout the series.

It's no different to most other tragedies where the perpetrators are remembered but the victims are invisible. Fred West's victims are invisible as the victims of Michael Ryan, Thomas Hamilton, etc etc.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I thought it was a great production and the story well recounted. The producers were at pains to stress the affect the shootings had on the families of the victims. One scene showed the family of Chris were worried that people would only remember Moat and forget the victims. Of course this has become the case, and this was highlighted throughout the series.

It's no different to most other tragedies where the perpetrators are remembered but the victims are invisible. Fred West's victims are invisible as the victims of Michael Ryan, Thomas Hamilton, etc etc.
Well put old boy, the tragedy came through, Chris was effectively killed because of a lie, he wasn’t a copper, and PC Rathband was attacked and blinded (later killing himself) because he was parked up, yet at the end the woman coming up to Newcastle a year later with her two boys to ‘remember Moat’ and being filmed was also based on fact.

At times we truly are a scumbag nation 🙈

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here