Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Goldstone in wartime

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Queen's Park pond copped some flack, although it wasn't bombs. A few rowing boats were apparently taken out.

My dad said that Haw-Haw announced they had caused damage to Brighton harbour. Not sure how accurate the story was as handed down by others but it fits the propaganda.

Of course, Hitler didn't bomb the Pavilion because it was to be his English home. Again, no evidence.

My dad did see the first bombs drop from his bedroom window in Toronto Terrace. It was about 6.30 one morning. They fell on Whitehawk. Hard to imagine the effect that has on people.

It's one of the reasons I hate the word 'Nazi' being used as a term of abuse. My family, like many others, experienced real Nazis. You know, the ones that were trying to kill you. It's not a throw away term.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
That's interesting, as the ball was blasted high over the north stand roof, it should betravelling in an entirely different direction, maybe it deflected off Uranus and headed south west instead. :lol:

It was windy that day in 1941. Our BG is there watching it. Or he may be looking to see if the new left back is coming via an RAF charter from Plymouth.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Did Brighton get bombed that often during the war? Was it considered a target? Were Brighton children evacuated?

My dad was evacuated from Brighton to Mytholmroyd, just east of Burnley. He was ten years' old.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
The six white houses on the left in Prince's Terrace are originals.
The red brick houses following them are replacements for bomb damaged originals.
828B5016-AA15-4F5C-AF59-F8D17B6011C6.jpeg

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Yes Brighton was bombed many times during the last war, (Newhaven where the docks were, was also heavily targetted). I believe a couple of hundred lives were lost n the area.

Many children were evacuated too, one addition concern for parents being that Brighton, being on the south coast, could be in the invasion area.

Hastings Old Town has a memorial to the victims of a similar attack. I recall reading that when the bombers had anything left to drop, they got rid of the bombs before heading over the sea to keep the weight of the plane down. Sadly, we did this as well -my German friends, now in the their 80s, recall being machine-gun attacked as children whilst playing in a field, by bombers returning from Hannover attacks. Dreadful times.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Hastings Old Town has a memorial to the victims of a similar attack. I recall reading that when the bombers had anything left to drop, they got rid of the bombs before heading over the sea to keep the weight of the plane down. Sadly, we did this as well -my German friends, now in the their 80s, recall being machine-gun attacked as children whilst playing in a field, by bombers returning from Hannover attacks. Dreadful times.

I know the rules of engagement were different, but still, if the pilot especially knew who was in that field it's a terrible and cowardly act. Although I'm sure there were many who would have managed to refrain from doing such a thing. War does such horrible things to human nature.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I know the rules of engagement were different, but still, if the pilot especially knew who was in that field it's a terrible and cowardly act. Although I'm sure there were many who would have managed to refrain from doing such a thing. War does such horrible things to human nature.

Yes, exactly.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
My Mum and Dad have shared some stories with me over the years.

Dad was at Varndean and on a school trip out one day was walking the cliff-tops at Roedean - the boys were all wearing school uniform, inc bright red caps. A returning German bomber had some left over and as it flew south, let a "stick" go - the boys all dived for cover but the bombs fortunately all landed in the sea.

My Grandpa was an ARP and recited many stories of pulling folk out of flattened buildings in Brighton. Before the war he was a welder and helped build Volks railway ...

My Mum was brought up at no. 2 Franklin Rd [just off Lewes Rd] - no 1 took a direct hit and did much damage to the Franklin Arms pub too [see photo]. Mum was at junior school at the time but after this she was evacuated to Yorkshire aged six. The pub was rebuilt but Google street view still shows the void left where house number 1 once stood.

Franklin pub bombed.jpg

Scary times ....

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
My Mum and Dad have shared some stories with me over the years.

Dad was at Varndean and on a school trip out one day was walking the cliff-tops at Roedean - the boys were all wearing school uniform, inc bright red caps. A returning German bomber had some left over and as it flew south, let a "stick" go - the boys all dived for cover but the bombs fortunately all landed in the sea.

My Grandpa was an ARP and recited many stories of pulling folk out of flattened buildings in Brighton. Before the war he was a welder and helped build Volks railway ...

My Mum was brought up at no. 2 Franklin Rd [just off Lewes Rd] - no 1 took a direct hit and did much damage to the Franklin Arms pub too [see photo]. Mum was at junior school at the time but after this she was evacuated to Yorkshire aged six. The pub was rebuilt but Google street view still shows the void left where house number 1 once stood.

View attachment 119944

Scary times ....

My Cousin was killed in St Mary Magdalene Street in the same raid as the Franklin Arms. She died inside the house but her baby in the pram outside somehow survived.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here