Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "the freedom of having a boss who will never throw you under the bus" Steele on RDZ, Sunderland and Golf

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
What a lovely piece, as the above poster says you can feel the change in Jason when he talks about where he was when he left Sunderland. The turn around in his career is probably beyond what he ever thought possible when he joined.

The way he talks about the club, RDZ, his fellow pros, young and old show what a special club this and what amazing days we are experiencing.

It’s quite clear that RDZs ethos is we win and lose as a team, no one is thrown under the bus for a mistake as we are playing the way he wants. It must be so reassuring to know your manager has your back like that. As Jason says players can relax more and they actually make less mistakes because they know the pressure isn’t there.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Here's today's feature on Football Focus with Jason Steele interviewed by Glenn Murray. Says he's never seen "Sunderland Til I Die" and it was his worst time in football. So bad at the time , that he didn't feel comfortable taking his kids to school. Was so relieved that Albion picked him up - he jokes that he didn't even ask how much they were paying him.
Seems to be also very good at golf. "scratch:" handicap. that's good right.? Glenn seemed impressed anyway.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/67310578 (UK only)

(oops - missed the thread from yesterday !. ta @Bozza for merging)

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Oct 4, 2003
Seems to be also very good at golf. "scratch:" handicap. that's good right.? Glenn seemed impressed anyway.
A scratch golfer takes the score they shoot as their final score where as a player with a handicap will take that off their total number of shots at the end of the round. So yes someone playing off scratch is a decent golfer but still quite some way off the level of pro golfers.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
A scratch golfer takes the score they shoot as their final score where as a player with a handicap will take that off their total number of shots at the end of the round. So yes someone playing off scratch is a decent golfer but still quite some way off the level of pro golfers.
Scratch is much better than "decent". I'm a 12 handicapper and I've played with scratch golfers and pros (including Erik van Rooyen). The balance, clubhead speed and ball striking ability of scratch players is in a different league to decent players (say 4 handicap upwards). The difference with pros is usually mental strength and the short game, although they can produce the miracle shots more regularly.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Surely by definition a ‘scratch golfer’ is anyone with a zero handicap - including all pros.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Oct 4, 2003

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
This is why I loved watching him get his contract extension. For many pros it would have been a "this is nice, but I know I want to go on to bigger things soon." For Jason, you could tell the relief and sheer joy on his face that he gets to keep doing what he loves, where he loves, for another few years. So heartwarming. Well in Steeley, love ya!

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Surely by definition a ‘scratch golfer’ is anyone with a zero handicap - including all pros.
Scratch is, by definition, zero handicap but both amateur and pro golfers can have plus handicaps. Ian Woosnam used to play in club tournaments at Oswestry with a +4 handicap and, famously, won a monthly medal with a gross score of 57, a net score of 61.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We have a +5 and a +3 handicap at Pyecombe, another 5 guys off of plus handicaps, and then another half a dozen or so off scratch. Trust me they are all absolute class amd in another league, especially compared to a 9 or 10 handicap hacker like myself!

Would you know if they all started golf by their teens/early 20’s?

Is it incredibly hard, no matter the number of private lessons, for older newbies to catch up?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

Is it incredibly hard, no matter the number of private lessons, for older newbies to catch up?
Depends on how old. With modern technology it is easier to get a low handicap that it used to be as it is easier to hit the ball straighter and longer, but you would still have to have a bundle of natural talent and a killer short game.

Let's Have A Winner!

Apr 23, 2006
Burgess Hill

Certainly 4 or 5 have come through the junior section and some of them have gone onto US college golf and come back. Most of the others would have started young I'm sure, but we still have 4 or 5 guys aged 50+ playing off 0/1/2.

It would be tough but probably not impossible to start later in life and get down really low but the main thing is just to enjoy it...which the handicap system does a great job of doing. There are guys well into their 80's still as competitive as ever!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here