Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] the first goal

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I find this thread a bit odd. As others have pointed out our control of the game means we rarely fall behind under RDZ anyway, but I always feel like when we do we have a real chance to come back. Never felt that with Potter or Hughton. Yesterday showed that when it isn't working he is not afraid to change things. When would Potter or Hughton have made two attacking substitutions at half time? I can't remember it ever happening?

His in game management is the best we have ever had.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I find this thread a bit odd. As others have pointed out our control of the game means we rarely fall behind under RDZ anyway, but I always feel like when we do we have a real chance to come back. Never felt that with Potter or Hughton. Yesterday showed that when it isn't working he is not afraid to change things. When would Potter or Hughton have made two attacking substitutions at half time? I can't remember it ever happening?

His in game management is the best we have ever had.
I looked at the stats !

EDIT - 15 times. In the PL we fell behind first - 15 times under RDZ, we've lost 11, D 2 and now won twice (Chelsea (A) , and Bournemouth (H).
And also we beat Arsenal 3-1 in the League Cup after going 1-0 down.

Spurs (H) 0-1
Fulham (A) 1-2
Brentford (A) 0-2
lMan City (A) -1-3
Arsenal (H) 2-4
Fulham (H) 0-1
Brentford (H) 3-3
Spurs (A) 1-2
Chelsea (A) 2-1
Everton (H) 1-5
Newcastle (A) 1-4
City (H) 1-1
Villa (A) 1-2

West Ham (H) 1-3
Bournemouth (A) 3-1

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I looked at the stats !

In the PL we fell behind first - 14 times under RDZ, we've lost 10, D 2 and now won twice (Chelsea (A) , and Bournemouth (H).
And also we beat Arsenal 3-1 in the League Cup after going 1-0 down.

Spurs (H) 0-1
Brentford (A) 0-2
lMan City (A) -1-3
Arsenal (H) 2-4
Fulham (H) 0-1
Brentford (H) 3-3
Spurs (A) 1-2
Chelsea (A) 2-1
Everton (H) 1-5
Newcastle (A) 1-4
City (H) 1-1
Villa (A) 1-2

West Ham (H) 1-3
Bournemouth (A) 3-1
2/14 = 14% which is above the Premier League average for wins-from-behind.

So the OP had a point before yesterday, as 1/13 is 7.5% but, as I said, it was a small sample size which is going to be susceptible to big swings, as yesterday's win illustrates.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I think we opened the scoring in 23 games last season of which we won 18.
Failing to win at : Villa and Forest - so just 2 games under RDZ where we've scored first and lost. No idea if thats par or poor but its just a 5 game sample so hard to tell.

Aston Villa (H) L
Palace (A) D
Leicester (A) D
Brentford (H) D
Forest (A) L

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Why can’t we ever score from set pieces like that?
I reckon that if we keep letting Gilmour take set pieces rather than Gross and March, we will. May be an illusion but the quality of his balls looks much more threatening to me :shrug:

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Sam Allardyce once pointed out the value of scoring first and it was the subject of a stats analysis in 2020. The data were a few years old but I doubt the conclusion - that around 80% of matches across five European Leagues were won by team scoring first - has changed.

Couple this with the analysis above in #23 and I would suggest that Albion are actually doing fine by getting result from 4/15 matches when going behind.

What it does emphasise is the big risk taken by faffing at the back; it is RDZball and it is great to watch but it is risky.

Coxovi

NSC Patron
Nov 5, 2011
Suisse
Sam Allardyce once pointed out the value of scoring first and it was the subject of a stats analysis in 2020. The data were a few years old but I doubt the conclusion - that around 80% of matches across five European Leagues were won by team scoring first - has changed.

Couple this with the analysis above in #23 and I would suggest that Albion are actually doing fine by getting result from 4/15 matches when going behind.

What it does emphasise is the big risk taken by faffing at the back; it is RDZball and it is great to watch but it is risky.
Most things great to watch are risky I would say

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I reckon that if we keep letting Gilmour take set pieces rather than Gross and March, we will. May be an illusion but the quality of his balls looks much more threatening to me :shrug:
The quality of his balls was liked by bignuts I see

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
2/14 = 14% which is above the Premier League average for wins-from-behind.

So the OP had a point before yesterday, as 1/13 is 7.5% but, as I said, it was a small sample size which is going to be susceptible to big swings, as yesterday's win illustrates.
I suspect the defeat ratio is significantly higher than average. We don't come back to get a draw enough which is the slighty more worrying stat.

On the other hand, when we do go ahead I suspect we have a much higher ratio of wins than average.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here