Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The FA Cup for lower - half prem teams has so little upside

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Hopefully we now get past Blackpool but it won't be a relaxing watch.

Mate, if it was a relaxing watch then it would mean you didn't actually give a shit. The fact that like me, come game day, you'll be on edge means that the game MEANS something.

The FA Cup doesn't mean as much to me as it did 20-30 years ago tbh, and there's lots of reasons for that. But when it comes down to it, it still means enough for me to me tuning in and kicking every ball, as I did on Sunday night. As I will again against Blackpool.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I disagree.

It's a genuine chance at a bit of glory. We made the semi finals two years ago. The quarter or semi finals are realistic targets every season. And from there as a premier league team we have a chance in a one off game against anyone.

Take this season. We have Blackpool in the next round a game which we should win. Then it would be either Brentford from a lower league(tough game but more often than not one we should win) or Leicester a side who will probably field a weakened side as they're going for the top four. So as long as we turn up we have a navigable path to the quarter finals. From the quarters onwards we have a shout.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
It does give a chance of glory ... the only hope of glory for clubs like us. We are not going to win the league and having been promoted to the Prem, what then? Once the novelty wears off you need something to aim for ,to dream of.
If we had a better league position and not counting every point, I would be looking to the cup to add spice to the season

SAC

May 21, 2014
In the last 10 years (according to Wiki!), Watford, Palace, Villa, Hull, Wigan and Stoke have reached the finals. OK, only one of these actually won but it does show that with a bit of luck with the draw a smaller PL club can reach the final.

I'm not so bothered about it this season as I think without fans it loses a lot of its importance.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
It’s a break from the grind of the league.

I wasn’t overly bothered by the result prior to kick off last night, I wanted to win but wouldn’t have been too worried if not. Consequently I was able to relax and enjoy the game for what it was and for the first time in ages actually enjoy watching us play. It was refreshing.

Perhaps that was just me though.

ffs don't mean to be rude but football is just a game! You're a bit over analytical for me there. On a basic level I enjoyed our and several cup games yesterday. Pleased to see bigger teams, us included, put out decent sides surprisingly. For mre some of the fa cup magic was back anyway.

I love the cup and I can see us winning it one day.
Our last trip to Wembley was fantastic I just hope we don't get to Wembley again and it's in an empty ground.
The only bad thing about the cup is the kick off time for the final should be 15:00 on a Saturday and it should be last fixture of the season.
They have taken away some of the magic with the new times for the final.

I disagree.

It's a genuine chance at a bit of glory. We made the semi finals two years ago. The quarter or semi finals are realistic targets every season. And from there as a premier league team we have a chance in a one off game against anyone.

Take this season. We have Blackpool in the next round a game which we should win. Then it would be either Brentford from a lower league(tough game but more often than not one we should win) or Leicester a side who will probably field a weakened side as they're going for the top four. So as long as we turn up we have a navigable path to the quarter finals. From the quarters onwards we have a shout.

Well I love that most people are disagreeing with me! I also love the FA Cup and a good cup run is really exciting. I guess I was just ruminating that teams like us are likely to lose to lower league teams quite frequently, and if we avoid that fate the big clubs will see us off, and the added benefit of a nice day out against a big side has gone. And inevitably this board was full of complaints about the line up, and the performance, and so on after Sunday night, which speaks to the hiding to nothing we face in this competition.

So I still reckon the cup will disappoint more than it will delight in future, but I'm delighted that people still love the Cup! Wembley here we come :albion2:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Noooooo, I completely disagree! My love for the Albion was born from the '83 cup final. Literally no-one in my family gave a crap about football & that was the 1st game I ever watched. I went up to the Woodbourne Avenue shops to buy myself a flag for the replay.
I followed the team via the 'pools' announcements until '87. I moved & my next door neighbours dad used to sell Seagulls lottery tickets so I was more 'in the know' about what happened on the pitch from then on. :rock:
It wasn't until '91 that I saw my 1st 'live' game & that was away vs Millwall (which was scary, as I was still quite young). I can't lie and say I was going to games every week or even every year to be honest. I was a teenager and there were raves to go to. The next big game I went to, that I remember was Jimmy Case's testimonial. A year later I was working at the Goldstone, I didn't know that I was applying to work there when I went for the job!
Match days are the busiest days so 9.75 times out of 10 you don't get to see the match, but I managed to get 'leave' to watch the Canvey Island replay as it was FA cup. Last night reminded me of the draw at Canvey Island!
There really is something 'magical' about the cup, I bloody love it & I take my kids to see every Brighton FA cup game that I can. [MENTION=805]Kalimantan Gull[/MENTION] you had the biggest part to play in me taking my kids to Wembley and I'm forever grateful. I don't care that we lost, the whole day was based around 'it's the magic of the cup and anything can happen' & it really was a brilliant day! :albion2::rave:
Edit to add, I also explained to my kids why I was donating to their crowd funder, because I know how much getting through to the next round meant to them financially in these Covid times.

It was a great day out! Yep, I'm sold!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here