Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The dreamers who built 'the miracle' that is Brighton today

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings
Great article. Now where is that twat of a Radio 5 reporter who asked one dank eveing after a midweek defeat at Gillingham on a Champion's League night. " I have a question for those Brighton fans who went to the Priestfield tonight, WHY?

I imagine the twat might get WHY now, if he even remembers the remark :angry:

If my memory serves (I was on an A21 mini-bus full of season ticket holders heading home that evening, listening to the radio) it was Richard Littlejohn who made that comment.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Nice ARTICLE apart FROM the MENTIONS of Dick Tight

"Some people thought Knight was too much of a dreamer, that he was unrealistic and had ideas that sounded like sheer fantasy. But he was a visionary. "The travails of Brighton and Hove Albion have become a parable of what can go wrong in football," he once told me. "But it also serves as a beacon, to show how you can fight back against the money men and the manipulators, and survive." And thrive.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
"Some people thought Knight was too much of a dreamer, that he was unrealistic and had ideas that sounded like sheer fantasy.[/iQUOTE]

I think that group of people definitely includes Ernest :wink:

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
"Some people thought Knight was too much of a dreamer, that he was unrealistic and had ideas that sounded like sheer fantasy. But he was a visionary. "The travails of Brighton and Hove Albion have become a parable of what can go wrong in football," he once told me. "But it also serves as a beacon, to show how you can fight back against the money men and the manipulators, and survive." And thrive.

SHAME you don't ASK Dick Tight what he DID with the 1983 FA Cup Final money AND the MILLIONS from the SALE of Withdean

Sussex on Leith

Sep 11, 2003
Leith
Kudos to the Guardian Media Group for sticking with us through those years and sending reporters down write about us.

For a Division 4 club we were very 'fashionable', nobody writes about Hereford United.

True - though by coincidence, today's obituary of Frank Keating (excellent Guardian sports writer over 5 decades) mentions that he was a huge Hereford fan, and that the day we stayed up and sent them down was one of the worst days of his life.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/jan/25/frank-keating1?intcmp=239

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
3) Another south-coast surge awaits

Didn't know where to put this but as it's in the guardian I'll add it here. It's definitely NOT ITV analysis.

Brighton v Arsenal felt like a Premier League fixture in waiting. Brighton may be six points adrift of the Championship play-offs but their development as a club is inexorable with the style and classy nature of their approach play reflecting their manager's principles. Arsenal needed to call on the cavalry – Theo Walcott, Jack Wilshere and Kieron Gibbs, for a hapless André Santos – to prevail against a team who lost their captain Gordon Greer before the break and their most potent attacking threat, Will Buckley, at half-time. This club has the stadium. It will soon have the training ground. One day, possibly imminently, it will have a presence in the Premier League. Dominic Fifield

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Kudos to the Guardian Media Group for sticking with us through those years and sending reporters down write about us.

For a Division 4 club we were very 'fashionable', nobody writes about Hereford United.

Fair enough but David Conn's nasty stitch-up of an article in the middle of the Falmer end-game was a horrible exception. A woman writer on the Times issued a similar piece of character-assaulting at the same time. I wish someone would introduce them. They deserve each other.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
But she has always wriiten knowledgably and passionately about Brighton. She clearly likes the club. Maybe she'll defect like that cutesey independent blogger!

That makes her a very good journalist, of which she is. Does come across that she has a soft spot though, so perhaps you are right.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
That makes her a very good journalist, of which she is. Does come across that she has a soft spot though, so perhaps you are right.

I was actually surprised to find out she was an Arsenal supporter. A friend of mine told me that a while back at the same time he told me Paul Hayward was a Brighton supporter. At the time if i had to guess which one was Brighton I'd have gone for Amy Lawrence. Both excellent journalists it has to be said.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here