Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The definitive Benfica / Sporting days switch thread.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
We will know at 22:00 on Thursday 22nd if, as expected, both teams from Lisbon get through to the knockout stage.
In which case, both teams would be at 'home' on the first game, something that couldn't happen.
With the draw on Friday UEFA would have had 12 hours to decide what to do. I say 12 hours, indeed it was known since both clubs were put into the Europa League last year.
If one team were made to play Wednesday that would still put pressure on the hotels. Then they could 'swop' the home away legs, but that would be unfair on a club.
This must have happened before, so what was the UEFA decision then.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
What has happened in this situation before, and I forget which city it involved, is that one of the clubs did indeed play on a Wednesday. Swapping the legs is a total non-starter.

kojak

Jan 17, 2022
I watched the 2nd half of the Benfica-Toulouse game last night
They needed two soft penalties to beat Toulouse and looked decidedly average
This problem may not occur

FCB

Sep 1, 2023
What has happened in this situation before, and I forget which city it involved, is that one of the clubs did indeed play on a Wednesday. Swapping the legs is a total non-starter.

Yes. Could actually see one team play on Tuesday and the other on Thursday as well.

It's not like Sporting and Benfica are playing on the same stadium like Inter and AC Milan (or Roma and Lazio) which is the only case when swapping the legs makes sense. And it already happened IIRC.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Seville in 2022 hosted Seville and Real Betis at home against West Ham and Frankfurt. One game played Wednesday and the other on the Thursday.
But it must be Tuesday and Thursday surely. There would be at least 2500 away fans from both clubs. Being Portugal and easy flights the fans will book three days. Meaning 5500 away fans in Lisbon on the Wednesday evening/night unless it was Tuesday / Thursday.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
We will know at 22:00 on Thursday 22nd if, as expected, both teams from Lisbon get through to the knockout stage.
In which case, both teams would be at 'home' on the first game, something that couldn't happen.
With the draw on Friday UEFA would have had 12 hours to decide what to do. I say 12 hours, indeed it was known since both clubs were put into the Europa League last year.
If one team were made to play Wednesday that would still put pressure on the hotels. Then they could 'swop' the home away legs, but that would be unfair on a club.
Doubt they will decide in that 12 hours. They’ll already have a plan if this happens.

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
Minor bit of pedantry but both clubs were not put into the Europa League last year, Benfica have dropped down from champions league have they not ?
However you are right in as much as there must be a plan for such an eventuality.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Would be an absolutely amazing week to be there if it does happen.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
But it must be Tuesday and Thursday surely. There would be at least 2500 away fans from both clubs. Being Portugal and easy flights the fans will book three days. Meaning 5500 away fans in Lisbon on the Wednesday evening/night unless it was Tuesday / Thursday.
West Ham and Frankfurt will have travelled to Seville with big numbers, and wherever Frankfurt travel their fans always seem to cause trouble. Seville police coped, as will Lisbon police in their city. We are travelling to places well used to dealing with away Euro fans, some of whom are pretty unpleasant.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I’m hearing about people booking flights with free cancellation. Any advice on how this works, operators or airlines that offer this much appreciated

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I’m hearing about people booking flights with free cancellation. Any advice on how this works, operators or airlines that offer this much appreciated
Pretty much available on any ticket, you just pay loads more for the flexibility (flexible now may be cheaper than non-flexible once dates are confirmed)

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Pretty much available on any ticket, you just pay loads more for the flexibility (flexible now may be cheaper than non-flexible once dates are confirmed)
Okay, so potentially pay more if you take the flight, but free cancellation if you don’t?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here