Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The customer isn't always right

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
Not heard of it being called this but this is how i attempt to cook my own steak although i feel i can never get the temp high enough. I used to live on a beef farm and can categorically say that the steak i enjoyed on a very regular basis at that time was the best i have ever had. I more or less take it or leave it now and don't order one unless i am convinced it is going to be of good quality and i am feel particularly flush, which is rare.
At least it's not well done.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just as well I ordered my burger medium then

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 234

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Just as well I ordered my burger medium then

I ordered a burger from one of those newish fangled gourmet burger places and asked for it to be underdone rather than over and was told they were obliged to cook them well done :shrug:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I ordered a burger from one of those newish fangled gourmet burger places and asked for it to be underdone rather than over and was told they were obliged to cook them well done :shrug:

This happened to the Frau when she was in London. Its a load of nonsense if you ask me, why can you still have steak tartar?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Rubbish. Irish Clonakilty is the best. Fact!

Just had some Stornoway black pudding arrive from Scotland. Looked up Clonakilty and Sainsbury's in Hove sell it !

Think there may be a taste off tonight :drool:

Having bought some Clonakilty from Sainsburys on Saturday, I have spent the weekend diligently conducting taste tests. The two are very different with the Clonakilty being lighter with more oatmeal despite being beef based as oppose to the Stornaway pork recipe. Anyway, the outcome is

I've eaten all of both types and will need to get some more:drool:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Having bought some Clonakilty from Sainsburys on Saturday, I have spent the weekend diligently conducting taste tests. The two are very different with the Clonakilty being lighter with more oatmeal despite being beef based as oppose to the Stornaway pork recipe. Anyway, the outcome is

I've eaten all of both types and will need to get some more:drool:

I feel as though that outcome is 100% correct.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I'm not disputing that the Environmental Health people forbid "undercooked" burgers. I'm suggesting it's nonsense nanny stating which doesn't pose a significant risk. We're not all dying of e-coli here in Germany where raw minced pork is an every day snack (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/expat/ex...-love-minced-meat-just-a-little-too-much.html) and medium rare burgers are available.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/hea...ng-over-undercooked-pork-after-three-die.html

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

""The team concluded that there was no epidemiological link between the cases or an associated link with eating or handling pork."

And that link mentions just 3 people. Should an entire nation change decades of eating habits based on just 3 people and no proven link? The French eat raw beef, Germans raw pork, Japanese raw fish, oysters in numerous parts of the world etc etc. If it's properly looked after, just like any food raw or cooked, i cannot see a significant risk and I feel the choice should not be taken away by the government.

Last edited:

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
Back to the steaks.... we have a function for 26 people Tuesday night, all having Hanger steak and chips, and Montepulciano . We (politely) said they would all be cooked medium rare unless otherwise requested.
I will be leaving this in the capable hands of my deputies, as I will be at OXFORD on a TUESDAY NIGHT

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I like my meat quite rare but if someone doesn't so be it. Nothing annoys me more than a sign in a restaurant saying "we only do this..". No wonder so many restaurants go under. A new one has opened near me with the same instruction. I'll give it a year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here