Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The careers of Solly March and Anthony Knockaert

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Looks at least a stone overweight to me, but if he gets fit and gets his head down that will be an outstanding signing. Without knowing what’s going on in his head it’s impossible to tell if it’s a good signing or not

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
That's something I've always disagreed with. Many on NSC have said Solly wasn't good enough, and had he been sold it may well have not worked out for him and they'd be looking back showing how right they were. When Knocky was at Fulham he wasn't even good enough for the Championship most of the time because he just wasn't the same player after his father died. I imagine if Knocky's father had survived and his Knocky's head been in the right place he'd have succeeded in the PL.
But what about his time at Leicester ? But overall mentality and mental strength is nearly as important as physical strength in top flight football - be interesting to see how he gets on with his loan, he’s not that old so hope he makes a success of it.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Looks at least a stone overweight to me, but if he gets fit and gets his head down that will be an outstanding signing. Without knowing what’s going on in his head it’s impossible to tell if it’s a good signing or not
While he wasn't great for Nottingham when Fulham loaned him there, he was at least better than what they had before. With Huddersfield being the relegation zone I imagine it could well be the case again that any decent Championship player could help them, even if they don't pull up any trees.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
There's a lot of players who are a point in time. Gary Nelson was mine. I went to more or less every home game that season and a few away and watched a fair portion of those 32 goals he scored. That was the year I became a lifelong Albion fan and for that we can blame Gary Nelson. Even now I will say he is my favourite all time player after a diet of Caciedo and an Albion World Cup winner.

Knockaert is the same for my son. He only really got into being a Brighton fan after getting into Knockaert. I'd taken him to a few games but it was Knockaert that captured his imagination and support. He still wants Knockaert to sign his ill fitting shirt today. He was one of those players that was "worth the admission alone" but more than that he has given me a bhafc mate for life. For that, I will always be grateful and hope he tears the Championship up.

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
He had two traumatic deaths in his family, his marriage broke up, with his ex wife taking his child with her. Most men would be emotional and/or needy going through that.

Solly battled through two cruciale ligament operations which affected his early development and knocked his confidence on the field.
Very good point re Solly and one we fans sometimes forget. Most players would seriously consider retiring after two cruciate operations, the fact he battled on with no fuss and just got on with it speaks volumes for his character and resilience not to mention his fitness.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I would like to see AK in his prime in this side, not playing 75% of his football in his own half as he was under CH.

for 2 years AK was the reason i enjoyed football, one of the very few players who got you off your seat.

el punal

There's a lot of players who are a point in time. Gary Nelson was mine. I went to more or less every home game that season and a few away and watched a fair portion of those 32 goals he scored. That was the year I became a lifelong Albion fan and for that we can blame Gary Nelson. Even now I will say he is my favourite all time player after a diet of Caciedo and an Albion World Cup winner.

Knockaert is the same for my son. He only really got into being a Brighton fan after getting into Knockaert. I'd taken him to a few games but it was Knockaert that captured his imagination and support. He still wants Knockaert to sign his ill fitting shirt today. He was one of those players that was "worth the admission alone" but more than that he has given me a bhafc mate for life. For that, I will always be grateful and hope he tears the Championship up.
That’s lovely! :thumbsup:

For what it’s worth I took my grandson to his first Albion game in the bad, old Hyypia days. It could have possibly ended up, like your son with Knockaert, with Paddy McCourt being his idol. Fortunately, my grandson had better sense! :lolol:

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
That's something I've always disagreed with. Many on NSC have said Solly wasn't good enough, and had he been sold it may well have not worked out for him and they'd be looking back showing how right they were. When Knocky was at Fulham he wasn't even good enough for the Championship most of the time because he just wasn't the same player after his father died. I imagine if Knocky's father had survived and his Knocky's head been in the right place he'd have succeeded in the PL.
Mitrovic had that tag for a long time. A lot of it comes down to systems, managers, and age. Like Solly, he's 28 now and really finding his stride but for almost his whole career there were serious question marks about his ability to raise his levels to Premier League standards

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
But what about his time at Leicester ?
That was some time earlier and he improved after joining us. You could equally say 'what about Solly's time when Brighton were promoted' as proof he wasn't really good enough. Thankfully he's stayed with us and our style has enabled him to prove he very much is a PL standard player, but it could easily have been different.

But overall mentality and mental strength is nearly as important as physical strength in top flight football
Yes it is, but not everyone loses their father that young, and these things effect everyone differently. I just believe he had the footballing talent and it could have been different, as opposed to him not being good enough for the PL.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton

The 87-88 season was my first too. A fantastic one to be introduced to the Albion. Nelson was unplayable that season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here