Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Butterfly Effect

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
One for human science nerds.

Whilst listening to the Radio Sussex this week, our Warren said that if we had made the Quarter Finals of the League Cup we would have been away to Manchester United. I thought about it and came to the conclusion that we may not have done.
<snip>

I was thinking that as well, but only got as far as :

Would the balls have had the same numbers if we'd gone through instead of Charlton?

The rest is probably just bollocksy conjecture.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Bit of both... keen interest in how humanity/society has turned into what it is today (finding the consistencies throughout history and how these have developed or changed) which made me a bit of a history nerd (in some regards; not that into wars and specific years of kings and all that), along with some thinking.

Glad you find it interesting - I think it is as well. Funny analysing the foundations and structures - things really aren't as random, coincidental and unconnected as it may sometimes feel.
i do like the wars, but mainly scientific history and some thinking, holism

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I have a different view, I believe that everything that has ever happened and will ever happen has a cause and that it was and is inevitable, from the moment of the big bang. There is no if, this or that happened, because they didn't and never would have. I don't believe in free will, and I don't believe anything is random, even if it is entirely unpredictable.
Like you, I tend to believe in the predetermined destiny idea. Its all physics really, atoms and molecules are bouncing around all over the place and colliding and interacting, and their positions after colliding and interacting can be predicted. Highly complicated maths, but nevertheless theoretically predictable. Follow that to it's conclusion and everything can be predicted if your maths is good enough.

.... However it thus follows that us having this conversation on this thread about the predetermination of the universe was in itself predetermined, and that's just too highly improbable for my liking. Just like you can disprove God because of His sheer improbability, we can probably disprove the idea everything is predicted by the fact we're here taking about it. That does require pure random events to occur, however, and I suppose the answer is in quantum somewhere.

Infinitely spawning universes has to be a load of bollocks though.

Wealden Seagull

May 15, 2022
<snip>

I was thinking that as well, but only got as far as :

Would the balls have had the same numbers if we'd gone through instead of Charlton?

The rest is probably just bollocksy conjecture.

I thought that at the time but when looking at the numbers bar the thursday night game the other 7 were alphabetical so in this case we would have been.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Like you, I tend to believe in the predetermined destiny idea. Its all physics really, atoms and molecules are bouncing around all over the place and colliding and interacting, and their positions after colliding and interacting can be predicted. Highly complicated maths, but nevertheless theoretically predictable. Follow that to it's conclusion and everything can be predicted if your maths is good enough.

.... However it thus follows that us having this conversation on this thread about the predetermination of the universe was in itself predetermined, and that's just too highly improbable for my liking. Just like you can disprove God because of His sheer improbability, we can probably disprove the idea everything is predicted by the fact we're here taking about it. That does require pure random events to occur, however, and I suppose the answer is in quantum somewhere.

quantum mechanics will tell you that nothing is predictable and an infinite universe model does fit the maths rather well, atm!

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I accidentally put my jeans on backwards last week, but eventually managed to do up the zip.

The Buttock Fly Effect.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

I don't like the idea that there is a possibility of almost anything happening, a whale spontaneously materialising somewhere has a probability in some theories, it is so tiny that the universe has not been in existence long enough, nor is vast enough for it to have a probability of actually having happened anywhere yet, but it remains a possibility.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
quantum mechanics will tell you that nothing is predictable and an infinite universe model does fit the maths rather well, atm!
It doesn't have to be predictable to be inevitable.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I don't like the idea that there is a possibility of almost anything happening, a whale spontaneously materialising somewhere has a probability in some theories, it is so tiny that the universe has not been in existence long enough, nor is vast enough for it to have a probability of actually having happened anywhere yet, but it remains a possibility.
To be clear, chaos theory is about the unpredictable outcomes in complicated systems. It's nothing to do with multiverses or anything like that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here