Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The band/artist you never saw, never will, and regret the most because of it

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Just thought I'd pop this on the thread. Listening to it now and it sounds amazing. :love:

Apprehensive they couldn't capture the sound live....wrong! And Paddy's voice. OMG. Something in my eye.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTQb51A7m3M

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Whilst I know a fair bit about Zappa I know nothing of his actual music. Where should I start?

A serious question demands a serious reply.

Zappa to me is one of the most sublime artists of all time. But you can easily be put off by some of his antics.

For me his other wordly tracks sucked me in. Bob Harris played one track accompanied by a cartoon from the 1930s and I was hooked.

So I have given it some thought and will post three very different offerings.

The first is an instrumental that is 'made' by the wind section at the star and finish. The end is completely majestic. There are even tubular bells. This is a 1969 release. The whole album is fabulous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRBR_SPPXKQ

The second is from 73. Here we have vocals, and you get a feel of the Zappa 'Lone Groover' gonzo humour. Moving to Montana soon. Gonna be a dental floss tycoon. Plus a classic Zappa guitar solo. He was up with the best. And all this was scored so his son Dweezil can recreate it :mad: I also love the speeded up vocal at the end. I love a bit of treated vocal, me (one reason why I like 'witch house'). And Ruth Underwood on xylophone. FFS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smZA9Jv3qH0

Yippee Yi O Tyay!

And finally....hmm....I know! If I were to tell you this is a semi reggae cover of Stairway to Heaven you wouldn't listen. Schoolboy error. It is actually emotional, it's so effing good. And the finale :love:

Hope you like :thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35HoabXm41E

Somehow I think I may have been whooshed by your request but never mind :lolol:

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
Hendrix, Sandy Denny, Allman Brothers. I had tickets to see them at The Rainbow, Finsbury Park, but Duane died and I never got to see them. Beatles, Buddy Holly, and No other band, performing Gene Clark's masterpiece, 'No Other'. One of their concerts is on youtube, and its probably the best live performance that I've ever come across. I almost forgot High tide. I'd have loved to have seen them in concert.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Expecting plenty of abuse for this………George Michael when solo.

A not very prolific live artist, and maybe overawed by an audience, and I would not even hazard a guess as to what might have been his best live show……..but fxxk I wish I had seen it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

A not very prolific live artist, and maybe overawed by an audience, and I would not even hazard a guess as to what might have been his best live show……..but fxxk I wish I had seen it.

Excellent shout. He was pure class :bowdown:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Hendrix, Sandy Denny, Allman Brothers. I had tickets to see them at The Rainbow, Finsbury Park, but Duane died and I never got to see them. Beatles, Buddy Holly, and No other band, performing Gene Clark's masterpiece, 'No Other'. One of their concerts is on youtube, and its probably the best live performance that I've ever come across. I almost forgot High tide. I'd have loved to have seen them in concert.

If it is any comfort*, my old pal and neighbour, Bob the (former) social worker saw the Beatles at the Cavern and elsewhere more than 20 times, including the last Cavern gig there. He said they were brilliant. I don't like them much.

*No, it won't be much comfort, on reflection :facepalm:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

He is on my list of can't stand/seen live. He was very very good.

I was off my box at the Freddie Mercury tribute concert and saw a few like that.

BrianB

Sleepy Mid Sussex
Nov 14, 2020
James Brown in his early 1970s prime ..

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Nirvana - had tickets for Brixton Academy - the month he died. Rush - only remember them touring twice in last 30 years and busy both times. Van Halen - when did they last tour the UK? saw Dave Lee Roth live twice but I expect Eddie would have been better than Steve Vai.

Some I went to see because I thought I had to and wish I hadn’t

Would have loved to have seen the Pistols but they just weren't around for quite Enough Time.....
Took a while but saw them at the Palace :ffsparr:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210830_230759.jpg
    Screenshot_20210830_230759.jpg
    683.1 KB · Views: 42

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

The missus really wanted to see him, so we once went to a concert at Hampden Park.

Have to say, he did perform his heart out.

I’m not really into ‘big stadium shows’ - more of a ‘band doing a gig’ person - but it was impressive.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I came VERY close to buying tickets for The Who at Madison Square Garden 2 years ago. I took the wife to NYC for her birthday - in the run-up I was planning the itinerary, found tickets for sale on a date that suited and made the mistake of checking to see if she'd be up for it... totally uninterested! Not being one to foist my preferred activities onto her, (particularly as it was her birthday trip), we went to see Hamilton instead. To put it kindly, I really didn't see what the hype for Hamilton was about :shrug:. Tickets were triple that of The Who too.

The only saving grace is that I've seen a bit of The Who's (recentish) live stuff on Youtube and it's fair to say Daltrey's voice isn't great these days (no great surprise given his age!).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here