Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Award-winning official "More Snow Tomorrow?" Thread [2023-24 Season]

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Really? I guess November is still Autumn but have regularly seen the first frost by now. Doubt we will get one until well into December.
We did have a frost maybe 5-6 weeks ago. I remember a particularly crisp 7am dog walk and it caught me by surprise.

It was very possibly a one-off though - it has been ridiculously mild.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Might have to change the title of this thread to "The Award-winning official "Slightly Under the Average Tomorrow?" Thread" at this rate...
Getting down to single figures tonight.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Getting warmer again next week. Global warming init. Makes it less likely than 20, 30 years ago.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
A few on Net Weather talking about a possible beast from East in early December.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
A few on Net Weather talking about a possible beast from East in early December.
The last time there was a beast from the East I was in Indonesia in t-shirt and shorts, watching the radar of snow streamers whipping across Cornwall and trying to get through on the phone to my wife, whilst she got stuck in the snow after rescuing the kids from school and had to abandon her car on the road....

I am back in Indonesia for the first time in yonks and not home til mid-December.....................

could it be...........................

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
An easterly wind would certainly be cold, but a genuine Beast from the East would need to be in January or February when Russia and Scandinavia are at their coldest; they are still cooling-down at the moment.

Sure, we've had snow in December before, but usually, our 'best' winters (for snow lovers) have been in January and February - just as our hottest summer weather (like this year) is usually in July and August, not in June.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'd wait till Saturday's Daily Express front
page gets printed. .. 25% chance of The Beast, 25% Migrants, 25% Heatwave and 25% chance Rishi will save the country...100% bullshit one way or another.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
There are some signs of a colder easterly in the data, but it's a long way off (over a week) and there is (not yet) a lot of ensemble support. I'd take a few clear / frosty days as a start after the drowning we've experienced recently.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Tee hee. They start the conversation EVERY November at the slightest sign of whatever ‘GFZ run’ or what it is showing that if a happens, followed by b then c then d, and e doesn’t do what it normally does before f slopes off to the West preventing g from drifting to the east then we just might see the same conditions as 1963 in 6 weeks time………possibly. Then along comes a party pooper and says it’s not going to happen for an equally long series of reasons.

Meanwhile, the weather forecast for 12 hours ahead is unreliable :ROFLMAO:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Tee hee. They start the conversation EVERY November at the slightest sign of whatever ‘GFZ run’ or what it is showing that if a happens, followed by b then c then d, and e doesn’t do what it normally does before f slopes off to the West preventing g from drifting to the east then we just might see the same conditions as 1963 in 6 weeks time………possibly. Then along comes a party pooper and says it’s not going to happen for an equally long series of reasons.

Exactly, they are so desperate for snow they hang onto every slight chance. Ramp Ramp Ramp!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Exactly, they are so desperate for snow they hang onto every slight chance. Ramp Ramp Ramp!
Sample straw-clutching post :ROFLMAO:

DDE835D7-645D-47D5-9BFC-11782C1CD2A5.png

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I'd wait till Saturday's Daily Express front
page gets printed. .. 25% chance of The Beast, 25% Migrants, 25% Heatwave and 25% chance Rishi will save the country...100% bullshit one way or another.
If you're really lucky you get all four at once. Plus a pic of Diana

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Indeed, although I believe that 48 hours is the most optimistic time frame for virrect predictions. .had a fishing holiday in Cornwall this October and the day before travelling the week ahead showed maybe 2 days would be fishable, we managed 5 days out in the boat.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Indeed, although I believe that 48 hours is the most optimistic time frame for virrect predictions. .had a fishing holiday in Cornwall this October and the day before travelling the week ahead showed maybe 2 days would be fishable, we managed 5 days out in the boat.
That’s pretty good………I managed a trip out of Eastbourne last week, first time for me with a new skipper. It was the 8th attempt !
Was in Cornwall last month, saw so many bluefins from the shore - going to try to get down for a go at them next season but so weather-dependent……..

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Sample straw-clutching post :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 153957
Precisely. And this sort of post usually comes with a moniker such as Summer Blizzard, Scottish Moraine or Winter '63 or something. Impossibly optimistic/unrealistic posts can often be determined by the name. They used to scare me loads in the early days of the internet, when I took up exotic gardening. Now I take most of it when I read it, with a hefty pinch of salt.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Precisely. And this sort of post usually comes with a moniker such as Summer Blizzard, Scottish Moraine or Winter '63 or something. Impossibly optimistic/unrealistic posts can often be determined by the name. They used to scare me loads in the early days of the internet, when I took up exotic gardening. Now I take most of it when I read it, with a hefty pinch of salt.
I lurk on there a bit if things actually look interesting, but at that point the forum goes into near-meltdown :ROFLMAO:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
That’s pretty good………I managed a trip out of Eastbourne last week, first time for me with a new skipper. It was the 8th attempt !
Was in Cornwall last month, saw so many bluefins from the shore - going to try to get down for a go at them next season but so weather-dependent……..
Yes, we saw Bluefins on two separate days, they liked feeding on small Garfish....when the Bluefins were close they started skittering all over the surface. Trouble is a, they are a protected species so you can't land them, b, if you hook one you will be " spooled " unless you have proper gear and c, they don't seem to come in " Fun Size "

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here