Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] The Avengers 1965 / 67

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
C'mon be honest ! Anyone else into the Diana Rigg / Patrick Macnee classics ? The plots, such as they are, suggest that the imagination of the writer was aided and abetted by the use of hallucinogenic drugs. This, lunatic adversaries with the most outrageous schemes to either bring down the government, or to achieve world domination from an unlikely venue, such as a funeral directors, or a butler training centre, contribute towards making the programmes hugely entertaining, and pretty unique.

The combination of Emma Peel and her lotus Elan is SO 60's, and is iconic. My girlfriend and I are ploughing our way through them all. I'm lucky to have someone in my life who is crazy enough to join me voluntarily in this binge watching exercise !

'The house that Jack built' ( 1966 B&W ) is a must watch classic, and 'The hour that never was', (1966 B&W), is another favourite of mine. It features a very young Roy Kinnear. 'The Cybernauts (1965 B&W + 1967 colour) Are also essential 60's viewing. There are loads of episodes that are worthy of your attention ! I lost interest when Diana Rigg was replaced by Linda Thorson, but the Diana Rigg legacy is something to be treasured.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
C'mon be honest ! Anyone else into the Diana Rigg / Patrick Macnee classics ? The plots, such as they are, suggest that the imagination of the writer was aided and abetted by the use of hallucinogenic drugs. This, lunatic adversaries with the most outrageous schemes to either bring down the government, or to achieve world domination from an unlikely venue, such as a funeral directors, or a butler training centre, contribute towards making the programmes hugely entertaining, and pretty unique.

The combination of Emma Peel and her lotus Elan is SO 60's, and is iconic. My girlfriend and I are ploughing our way through them all. I'm lucky to have someone in my life who is crazy enough to join me voluntarily in this binge watching exercise !

'The house that Jack built' ( 1966 B&W ) is a must watch classic, and 'The hour that never was', (1966 B&W), is another favourite of mine. It features a very young Roy Kinnear. 'The Cybernauts (1965 B&W + 1967 colour) Are also essential 60's viewing. There are loads of episodes that are worthy of your attention ! I lost interest when Diana Rigg was replaced by Linda Thorson, but the Diana Rigg legacy is something to be treasured.
I refer the honourable gentleman to my earlier missive on this exact same subject Diana Rigg

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Ditto!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Hubba Hubba 😍
DD2BEE3D-0286-470B-B73A-D66CFEE922A9.jpeg

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
The Avengers was effortlessly stylish. Steed was the quintessential gentleman spy and Emma Peel really made Dianna Rigg who went on to become the best Bond girl IMHO. None of the series which followed were ever that good and the less said about the dire Avengers film with Sean Connery the better.

My favourite episode was From Venus With Love, a great mix of camp humour and a mad villain with a portable laser beam - all very 60's

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Was watching the lovely Joanna Lumley in an episode of the Silk Road the other evening. To me she is even more gorgeous looking now, than she was nearly sixty years ago whilst playing Purdey.

Approaching 77 years old, incredible.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Yes. I have most of them on DVD. Terrific. The house that Jack built was iconic television.

Yet I know people who claim that Emma Peel was no match for Cathy Gayle....

1677157735737.png

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009

Totally agree.
Diana Rigg was my first fantasy lady all those years ago.❤️🥰

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here