Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] The Apprentice 2024

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I think you’re all taking it too seriously. The main priority of the Apprentice is to provide us with entertainment, and it does that by having an interesting bunch of overconfident young people with nice teeth making amusing f*** ups over the course of 3 months.

No idea how well all he previous investments have worked out, but 250K is a tiny sum for Sugar anyway and the revenue from the show itself no doubt dwarves it.

Reactions: abc

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Sugar's interview in Your Fired! - he said that he didn't intend to do any work, he'd give Rachel the money and let her crack on. Hardly the example on how to succeed in business.

I also see from Marnie's latest accounts her Bronx Boxing Gym lost £40K last year, so Sugar's £ 250K is now down to £210K, of which he owns £105K.

The show needs a major overhaul, it is disjointed, rushed, unrealistic and messy - indeed, Sugar pitching for half of Paul's dentist business when he had another investor and so wasn't in a position to accept was unethical at best and came across as a tad grubby.
I know Phil applied for the show etc but I am not convinced he wanted the investment. I think it was free advertising for his business. Giving away half the business when it is already solid as it was for just a few pointers seemed a bit much. He would have been better going on dragons den and giving away 25%.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
250k is chicken feed really for a business set-up etc. About time that Sugar upped it to a decent business amount
like 5 million.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
" Business is not just about making a profit " BOOM !

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
" Business is not just about making a profit " BOOM !
If he ever had a chance of winning, and I would have kicked him out when he didn't know how the losses had clocked up in the business when it was previously very profitable, that comment and his refusal to accept that he wasn't going to get rich quick sending pies in the post, did for him.

I was surprised after his previous efforts that he presented the business very well and thought it gave him a chance of turning things around. Then he goes in the boardroom and says that!

:facepalm:

But the series has become a parody of itself. They don't want top business minds with brilliant ideas. They want clowns who, for example, are unable to google "how to write a business plan" for us to point and laugh at. And that's fine!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
In the interest of research I went to his pie shop in Chichester on Wednesday and purchased a black pudding Scotch Egg, very poor to say the least and not a patch on Canhams Chilli Scotch egg albeit Canhams 50p dearer.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
In the interest of research I went to his pie shop in Chichester on Wednesday and purchased a black pudding Scotch Egg, very poor to say the least and not a patch on Canhams Chilli Scotch egg albeit Canhams 50p dearer.
To do your research properly, you know you must sample at least 10 other pies.

Nice one.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If he ever had a chance of winning, and I would have kicked him out when he didn't know how the losses had clocked up in the business when it was previously very profitable, that comment and his refusal to accept that he wasn't going to get rich quick sending pies in the post, did for him.

I was surprised after his previous efforts that he presented the business very well and thought it gave him a chance of turning things around. Then he goes in the boardroom and says that!

:facepalm:

But the series has become a parody of itself. They don't want top business minds with brilliant ideas. They want clowns who, for example, are unable to google "how to write a business plan" for us to point and laugh at. And that's fine!
Yet Phil got no credit for amassing £800K plus of Reserves that enabled the business to take a year's loss on the chin without any material impact on business. And a chunk of that loss was set-up costs in the new Shop No. 5.

And clearly, business IS not just about making a profit when it is a family-run business closely linked to a a community, in his case Bognor Regis and the surrounding area. Phil worded it badly and did not clarify his comments and that did for him.

In many respects I'm pleased Sugar didn't get his hands on those pies. He would only have forced him to source cheaper ingredients and downgraded the quality in search of higher profit.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Hardly a fair comparison. From Canhams you've gone for a more expensive, proper Scotch egg, and upgraded to the CHILLI version. Always going to be a winner.

And then you are comparing it to one made out of congealed blood and offal. Which amazingly, wasn't as good! :shrug:

Jul 7, 2003
I thought he handled the final well and came across as a nice guy in the aftershow.

Still don’t like his pies though, flavourless pastry and the fillings are nothing special. The rock cakes are okay.

Me Atome

Mar 10, 2024
I don't understand why the two finalists treat it like a new challenge, as if it was a surprise. Surely they should already have decided their logo and outline of adverts etc? They've had months to think about it.

alanfp

Feb 23, 2024
. Pies by post, laughable.
I'm glad it's not just me!

I think he said he said he wanted to concentrate on gifting. I can see that going down well
"I've bought you a nice present darling"
"what's that, my beloved?"
"It's a steak and ale pie"
" - speechless - "

Me Atome

Mar 10, 2024
I'm glad it's not just me!

I think he said he said he wanted to concentrate on gifting. I can see that going down well
"I've bought you a nice present darling"
"what's that, my beloved?"
"It's a steak and ale pie"
" - speechless - "
Oh I don't know. I've had worse gifts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here