Votes: 41 39.4%
  • The Amex

Votes: 62 59.6%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

I like the Amex, it's amazing really that our (often) crappy team can call it home......but I do miss the old ground. I guess when you're a teenager everything is so much more exciting, perhaps it is my younger self I miss!

That sounds like the beginning of a new thread??!! I absolutely get your sentiment, and I miss those times as well..

Quinny

Banned
Jul 27, 2014
I like to watch my football in comfort, I love the padded seats, I never went to The Goldstone but it looks ghastly and so outdated. Sorry for the older fans on here if that upset anyone

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Amex for me, when the atmosphere gets going, which clearly hasn't happened for a while, it beats the Goldstone. From a selfish point of view as well, it's a lot easier to get to from Hastings rather than the old days of going in and out of Brighton to get to Hove.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Away fans used to laugh their socks off at the state of the Goldstone, particularly at the Meccano stand in the Div 1 days. The only respectable bit was the North Stand roof, whilst the main and South stands were dingy old corrugated iron jobs, the sort of death traps that went up in smoke at Bradford. I admit I miss being able to walk to the ground, but The Amex is a beautiful stadium which I feel proud of. And despite the endless flippin' moaning on here the atmosphere can be great when the crowd are in the mood, I don't find transport by train an ordeal, and whilst I don't usually eat the pies the Harveys is good. I agree that it's about time we sorted out the North Stand singing but hopefully this will evolve.

el punal

I like to watch my football in comfort, I love the padded seats, I never went to The Goldstone but it looks ghastly and so outdated. Sorry for the older fans on here if that upset anyone
No need to apologise. There were some fantastic matches at the Goldstone, particularly evening games, and sometimes a great atmosphere. But, really, it was an out-dated shit heap, that in the thirty years that I watched the Albion there, was never developed. The only exceptions being when the South Stand caught fire and was re-built, and the North Stand when the roof was replaced (eventually). Good God, even the West Stand was never completed and that was built in the late 1950s and therefore never extended to the North Stand. The toilets had no rooves on them. And I won't bother to describe the 'Lego' Stand.

So, if the Goldstone had been developed in line with current all-seater stadiums, we would have ended up with a cramped 18,000 capacity ground - possibly a worse version of Fratton Park.

As for the Amex - well in my opinion it offers everything. And when the team are winning and are on fire, the crowds responds. And that is what it's all about.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Love the Goldstone and had some of the most memorable moments there, but everything changes and I am excited even now when I see The Amex. Just want us to start winning again.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
I am not sure that even Mr Bloom could revamp the Goldstone,into a 30K seater football ground,and still maintain its character.(Was it Bamber,that wanted the double deck stands behind both goals ?).I can remember the football.....in spite of the Goldstone !!

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Bring back the crumbling terraces open air toilets smelling of piss 3 inches deep with weeds growing up the wall and cheese rolls with sliced processed cheese and bovril which if you are lucky a wood lice in the bottom half time scores around the wall how I miss the Goldstone. Move on :amex::falmer:

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
The Amex. The Goldstone was never going to be fit for purpose. Mike Bamber realised that.

The Amex, but I'd like the club to find some way of harnessing the positive community feeling that was created in the bad old times of 97 and carry it forward in a positive sense. It still has lots more work to do in this area in my humble view.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
No need to apologise. There were some fantastic matches at the Goldstone, particularly evening games, and sometimes a great atmosphere. But, really, it was an out-dated shit heap, that in the thirty years that I watched the Albion there, was never developed. The only exceptions being when the South Stand caught fire and was re-built, and the North Stand when the roof was replaced (eventually). Good God, even the West Stand was never completed and that was built in the late 1950s and therefore never extended to the North Stand. The toilets had no rooves on them. And I won't bother to describe the 'Lego' Stand.

So, if the Goldstone had been developed in line with current all-seater stadiums, we would have ended up with a cramped 18,000 capacity ground - possibly a worse version of Fratton Park.

As for the Amex - well in my opinion it offers everything. And when the team are winning and are on fire, the crowds responds. And that is what it's all about.

Good post. :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here