Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Age Of Stupidity

el punal

God knows there are enough morons on this planet at the moment. Most of us have had dealings with complete numbnuts that defy all logic. So, for your delectation I have two treasured moments of unbelievable stupidity worth relating :

Firstly, I was relaxing at home when the phone rang, it was the local pizza delivery outfit. What toppings would you like on your pizza asked the lady on the other end of the phone. I didn’t order a pizza, I replied. Oh, said she, is your phone number 123456? No, said I, I’m 123455. Then the best bit - Would you mind going next door and ask them what toppings they would like? :mad:

The second incident. Our daughter was visiting recently and we planned to go out for a decent pub meal. I phoned up a gastro pub to book a table for three people. A young lady answered and after hearing my request went to check availability. We can’t do a table for three people, she said, would you like a table for two instead?

Stay sane everybody! :rolleyes:

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
God knows there are enough morons on this planet at the moment. Most of us have had dealings with complete numbnuts that defy all logic. So, for your delectation I have two treasured moments of unbelievable stupidity worth relating :

Firstly, I was relaxing at home when the phone rang, it was the local pizza delivery outfit. What toppings would you like on your pizza asked the lady on the other end of the phone. I didn’t order a pizza, I replied. Oh, said she, is your phone number 123456? No, said I, I’m 123455. Then the best bit - Would you mind going next door and ask them what toppings they would like? :mad:

The second incident. Our daughter was visiting recently and we planned to go out for a decent pub meal. I phoned up a gastro pub to book a table for three people. A young lady answered and after hearing my request went to check availability. We can’t do a table for three people, she said, would you like a table for two instead?

Your first call sounds like a prank...at least, I hope so. :)

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
My driving instructor has been telling me some stories, one of which made me chuckle even though I could see the response coming a mile off.
He showed one of his students a picture like the one below and explained about turning into a junction going across traffic. Explaining she was the red car, when to check mirrors, signal etc, the blue car represented oncoming traffic and had right of way.
She proceeded to the next junction and pulled straight in front of an oncoming car, he slams the brakes on and asks what the hell she was thinking, to which she replied "it wasn't a blue car so they didn't have right of way."

_20220519_181539.JPG

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The end of a call to a helpline (assuming you've had a few hours to spare to get through to actually talk to a person) ........... "Is there anything ELSE I can help you with?"

Whadya mean, anything else? - you haven't helped me with anything!

Last edited:

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London

People working new jobs without the requisite training because of staff shortages. As someone else has said, stop being a snob.

If you’d put as much effort into helping them as you’ve done about identifying their failures here, they’d be much better service providers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I’ll take a bit daft and well meaning over clever and mean, any day. I find wee dafties quite endearing!

Having said that, the pizza one did make me sigh!

Last edited:

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

While I get your exasperation, there’s possibly a valid reason behind part of this.

Restaurants often work in terms of ‘covers’ not seats. So they will know they can cater for, say, 80 covers in an evening service. Stock is ordered accordingly, staff rota levels run etc.

So technically if a restaurant started saying “we’ll squeeze in another person here, two more there, another one here etc…” then all that goes to pot.

It could be one of those rules that while ‘just make a little exception’ seems fair, they might need to stick to a hard and fast ‘no’, because once you start to slip, where do you then draw the line.

Having said that:
- It’s a pub not a fine dining restaurant, so the implications of changing covers should be a lot less.
- The comment of “do you want a table for two instead “ is a very dumb way to respond.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

It’s not wise to post your phone number on a public forum….especially in a thread about stupidity!

:dunce:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Second response seems fine. I would have said “good idea, I’ll bin off the daughter…she’d expect me to pay anyway….and come with the missus”.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Yeah, because those things couldn’t ever have happened in past times. It’s all a fancy new invention :ffsparr:

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Thread should be renamed "Bell cheese's in Life".

Did make me chuckle, both of them. :thumbsup:

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
The gastro pub one sounds like a well meaning (but admittedly daft) attempt to try and find a solution, maybe she was just having a moment.

Sorry, hospitality solidarity and all that

el punal

People working new jobs without the requisite training because of staff shortages. As someone else has said, stop being a snob.

If you’d put as much effort into helping them as you’ve done about identifying their failures here, they’d be much better service providers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing to do with training but sheer common sense. Me being a snob? :laugh:

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
My driving instructor has been telling me some stories, one of which made me chuckle even though I could see the response coming a mile off.
He showed one of his students a picture like the one below and explained about turning into a junction going across traffic. Explaining she was the red car, when to check mirrors, signal etc, the blue car represented oncoming traffic and had right of way.
She proceeded to the next junction and pulled straight in front of an oncoming car, he slams the brakes on and asks what the hell she was thinking, to which she replied "it wasn't a blue car so they didn't have right of way."

View attachment 148025

As an ex driving instructor I learned very early on never to say go straight across the roundabout.

��

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
The end of a call to a helpline (assuming you've had a few hours to spare to get through to actually talk to a person) ........... "Is there anything ELSE I can help you with?"

Whadya mean, anything [I[else[/I]? - you haven't helped me with anything!

I usually ask for that weeks winning lottery numbers. Usually met with total silence and confusion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here