Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] The 17p Supermarket Challenge

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean

Button mushrooms the correct answer...

A couple of years ago I asked politely at Sainsbury's customer service desk if they could split a £20 as needed to pay £5 cash to a driver at home an hour or so later...

The old bag behind the jump rudely refused saying they weren't a bank etc...

1 button mushroom later through the self-service check-out, £19.99 was safely in my pocket, not before waving the change at said old cow on the way out...

Happy memories

Dec 29, 2011

A couple of years ago I asked politely at Sainsbury's customer service desk if they could split a £20 as needed to pay £5 cash to a driver at home an hour or so later...

1 button mushroom later through the self-service check-out, £19.99 was safely in my pocket, not before waving the change at said old cow on the way out...

Happy memories

I have a very similar story. Mine was also an old cow, perhaps they were related.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Find the cheapest item in the fruit and veg in terms of cost by weight. The go to the card aisle and choose any small card, take this to the fruit and veg weighing machine and tap the buttons to say it is the item that is the cheapest by price per unit, print price ticket, do this another four times and you will still have change in your account.

You will of course not have purchased anything, but will trigger your saving threshold.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
Find the cheapest item in the fruit and veg in terms of cost by weight. The go to the card aisle and choose any small card, take this to the fruit and veg weighing machine and tap the buttons to say it is the item that is the cheapest by price per unit, print price ticket, do this another four times and you will still have change in your account.

You will of course not have purchased anything, but will trigger your saving threshold.

Gosh, that sounds a bit convoluted. Would you not have to pay for the card? They can be very expensive, certainly more than 17p.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

Happy memories

Excellent - I hope you also ate the mushroom in front of her. :lolol:

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
50p each!! They used to be 4 for an old penny - that's inflation for you.

When I went to the Saturday morning pictures in the local scout hut in the mid 1960's the bloke used to undercut the sweet shops by selling black jacks at 5 for 1p.

Anyone under the age of 40 won't understand any of that sentence.

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
When I went to the Saturday morning pictures in the local scout hut in the mid 1960's the bloke used to undercut the sweet shops by selling black jacks at 5 for 1p.

Anyone under the age of 40 won't understand any of that sentence.

1d, shirley?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Is there an update? Did the button mushrooms do it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here