Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] That rule that denied us a 100th-minite corner

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
What is it for? We were actually penalised for Pawson incorrectly awarding us a penalty.

Surely if the penalty is given after the ball has gone out of play and then overturned, play should resume with the correct award of a corner, throw-in, goal kick or whatever?

The current rule seems like total nonsense.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Been discussed at length. The law is correct, provided the penalty is awarded when the ball hasn't gone out of play. As it had gone out of play he actually got it wrong, it should have been a corner by the laws. Ah well, the odds of lightning striking twice and us scoring TWICE from a corner must have been astronomical :lolol:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
The thing that really makes it seem like nonsense is that the ball was already out of play behind the goal when the ref blew and pointed to the spot.

If the ref stops the game for the decision I can understand it. But in these instances, the rule should be that the ref can put the attacking team back in the position they had been had they not made the error.

Or even better see it in the first place. I mean, the ref can always find himself the wrong side of something. But the lino is right there. What's his role in this? Are the ref and lino even communicating anything at all?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Been discussed at length. The law is correct, provided the penalty is awarded when the ball hasn't gone out of play. As it had gone out of play he actually got it wrong, it should have been a corner by the laws. Ah well, the odds of lightning striking twice and us scoring TWICE from a corner must have been astronomical :lolol:
Thanks for explanation. So it was a Pawsom c**k up - the ball had surely gone out before he blew the whistle.

I thought Milner's corners were more dangerous than Gross's. But yeah, would have been a minor miracle to score from two in a game.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
I am not part of the "get rid of VAR" camp at all, but I can't fathom why at Premier League grounds they are unable to have a set of stock explanations for VAR decisions. It doesn't even need to be refs speaking to the crowd. It would have been so easy for the ground announcer to have gone "After a VAR check for handball in the area, the decision has been overturned as the ball did not hit the arm."

Obviously, there is not much we can do about Pawson not quite understanding the rules he implements and not giving us a corner.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
My understanding is the award for the penalty and consequential overturning, over rules the proceeding corner, hence the drop ball

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here