Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Television these days

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
I recently purchased a Disney TV annual subscription for £7.99 and an annual Apple tv subscription for $13.99. It is basically sharing a strangers log in details and needs a good bit of trust but I've had no issues with either service for nearly 4 months now. For the sake of the small initial outlay I took a punt and it looks as though it will cost considerably less than if I were to have both on a yearly plan for myself.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Most people I know share their memberships of Netflix, Prime and Disney Plus.

We only have Disney for the grand kids but share a membership with 2 neighbours and a friend over the road. Costs us no more than £20 a year each.

Absolutely no need to pay for all such memberships - just agree to split the cost with 2 or 3 friends if they want the same services.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
And to think, 42p a day buys you iPlayer and all its channels (BBC 1, 2, 3, 4, CBBC Cbeebies, BBC News, Parliament.)

And you get Radio 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 as well.
Plus Radio 1 and 5Live Extra.

And it also pays for the website and for the BBC World Service.

42p a day. You can’t buy a packet of pasta for that.

The Mail costs 65p a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Netflix didn’t produce it, they acquired it for distribution. But it is a bit better than most of the other “Netflix originals”.

I’ve enjoyed:
The Dig
Trial of the Chicago 7
Enola Holmes
The Two Popes
The King
The Irishman

Not sure how many of those are true originals or bought and rebranded Netflix ones.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think you’ve got to be clever with your subscriptions these days. You don’t need to run all of them all year. Often pick a NowTV Sky entertainment package for a few months, ditch Disney and Netflix for a period. Find that when you resubscribe there’s a bit of excitement at having a service back. Also got out of TV contracts so only BB with Virgin, freeview + rotating service subs.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
And to think, 42p a day buys you iPlayer and all its channels (BBC 1, 2, 3, 4, CBBC Cbeebies, BBC News, Parliament.)

85p a day for basic sky package, half dozen Sky channels, dozen documentry, various news and music. just wondering why people show the BBC cost in days but not others for comparison.

and did everyone know you dont need a licence to watch on demand services?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Netflix didn’t produce it, they acquired it for distribution. But it is a bit better than most of the other “Netflix originals”.

We have watched lots of good Netflix originals/ distributions. Narcos, Criminal (various countries), the one about the Mossad spy, Love on the Spectrum-quite a range ! Unfortunately there doesn’t seem much new coming online at the moment which would be of interest. We also share our login with family and I think were it not for that we might have binned it by now.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I’m coming to the end of my Sky contract next month and have decided to bin it, saving £100 a month, after the price increases in June. Only really watch football and the odd mega series, G.O.T. etc, I have Amazon account, but I use that more for reading, and the odd thing. I piggy back Disney + on my sons account, and don’t really watch it. We’re going to get a Now TV account for the Albion games I’m not attending, and im on a free Apple TV 3 months trial to watch Slow Horses, the books are superb. I will probably keep Netflix for the grandkids telly, but that may change.

I have also just changed from Sky Broadband which was absolutely pants to Virgin Media broadband which is so much better, and I save £10 a month.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
You don't have to watch all the crap on the box. Just turn it off and do something positive instead.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I think you’ve got to be clever with your subscriptions these days. You don’t need to run all of them all year. Often pick a NowTV Sky entertainment package for a few months, ditch Disney and Netflix for a period. Find that when you resubscribe there’s a bit of excitement at having a service back. Also got out of TV contracts so only BB with Virgin, freeview + rotating service subs.

Exactly this. I rotate between Prime and Now and get Netflix free.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I have:
Prime/Netflix/Disney+/Spotify
I had basic Sky TV with broadband deal, but never watched it.

I think the streaming services cost me about £40 a month, but are in constant use by my family and the inlaws.
Disney + is great value IMO and will probably eat up all the others over time.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Also if you join, say Now for 6 months and then go to leave they offer the whole lot at half price for 3 moths. Every time. Same with Prime and Audible. Saves a pretty penny, I do it a couple of times a year on all of them.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
13F069EF-4CCB-4373-93D6-3BB8E410BE46.png

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
85p a day for basic sky package, half dozen Sky channels, dozen documentry, various news and music. just wondering why people show the BBC cost in days but not others for comparison.

and did everyone know you dont need a licence to watch on demand services?

Yep, Sky still sounds like twice the price for half the value. And it has no obligation to provide public services, like Welsh language programmes. I forgot to add the regional programming, BBC Alba etc.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Sacked off Virgin TV (and the obligatory landline in the package; retaining the broadband thus saving about £45 a month) and happy paying simply for Netflix, iPlayer, Disney+ & Prime, all of which get used regularly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here