Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tactically Gus right up there with the Duke of Wellington and General Patton

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
All Gus has done is stick his toe in the job market, it's something we have all done with or job / career path in order to better ourselves.

It's all a game for now he has strenghtend his position with the Albion but long term highlighted that his future is elsewhere.

I don't blame him we all have dreams to work at the top whatever your career.

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
I think the main thing that people have forgotten, that our Bus driver has a line in his contract that says "if a Premiership club comes asking if I'd like their job, that I'm allowed to speak to them."

Which our senior board members said "Off you go Gus, don't forget to tell them that we want £2 Mill from them if you do go and become their manager :cool:"

Obviously with the current merits of both teams, I think many Albion fans, including myself, thought he just say "go and do one, as I'm still half-way through a job here!"
But, when it took a whole 36 hours to say "Oh sorry, I'm actually staying, and really love this club, after that stupendous 3 nil win over our bitterest rivals", I think we all wondered that if he was really off to Reading!! ???

My main concern with it all, was the timiing of the whole thing. If he had gone, I think we would have imploded to mid-table mediocrity, and then maybe another season scrabbling around mid-table next season as well!

The only saving grace about this whole Albion episode, is that we didn't have a match this weekend, and we can have another whole drama-free week before "Saturday Comes" and a very-pivitol match against play-off rivals.

Here's hoping the Palace factor rubs off on the whole team, staff, fans, etc. and we can keep the Play-Off dream alive in 7 days time! :albion2:

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Well, he rarely shows ant tactical nouse when he is making substitutions. That is clearly a major factor in failing fo come back after falling behind in virtually two whole seasons.

Agreed.
I wouldn't mind if he left.Bloom would have quite a few quality applicants sniffing around if it were to happen.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
We will see how strong his position is, when he hits a rocky patch. I doubt Mr Bloom will be overly impressed with the last few days events. But it would have been very disruptive if Poyet had gone with eight games left. Not the end of the world but a pain in the arse, Mr Bloom could have well done without.

Gus was approached by Reading-not the other way around. TB and the club stayed quiet, issuing no statements whatsoever so what makes you think TB was not impressed? The New Albion operate similar to Liverpool, Man U and other top clubs by keeping their matters confidential until they are ready to say something. I'm fairly confident that all is fine between Chairman and manager.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Gus was approached by Reading-not the other way around. TB and the club stayed quiet, issuing no statements whatsoever so what makes you think TB was not impressed? The New Albion operate similar to Liverpool, Man U and other top clubs by keeping their matters confidential until they are ready to say something. I'm fairly confident that all is fine between Chairman and manager.

The Albion may try and keep their matters confidential and do a very good job of it. I not so sure Reading would want everyone to know that they have been turned down by Poyet. Doesn't do them any favous when talking to others. It's always a mystery how these stories get out in the first place, I suppose someone has something to gain from it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here