Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] ***Sussex v Yorkshire - match thread***

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I like him a lot and am loathe to say it, but maybe time for Delray to sit a game or two out?

Who is going to replace him though? We're two batters (Salt and Head) short. We've already got a bowler opening the batting. I still don't understand why Wright and Bopara are white ball only, that would help

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Who is going to replace him though? We're two batters (Salt and Head) short. We've already got a bowler opening the batting. I still don't understand why Wright and Bopara are white ball only, that would help

Do you know when Head is arriving?
Re Wright and Bopara. With Wright I sort of get it, in a crap Gillespie man management kind of way - his long form form had fallen away and he’s skipper of t20 which, rightly or wrongly, is a big focus of the club.
As for Bopara - it looked like a crazy deal at the time, and has just got crazier.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Do you know when Head is arriving?
Re Wright and Bopara. With Wright I sort of get it, in a crap Gillespie man management kind of way - his long form form had fallen away and he’s skipper of t20 which, rightly or wrongly, is a big focus of the club.
As for Bopara - it looked like a crazy deal at the time, and has just got crazier.

I think Head is back after this match but I'm not 100% sure.

The thing about Wright is that he spent time practising with the red ball and then Dizzy said he wasn't wanted, it seems like a mis- communication but this is the sort of situation where a bit of experience would come in handy

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I think Head is back after this match but I'm not 100% sure.

The thing about Wright is that he spent time practising with the red ball and then Dizzy said he wasn't wanted, it seems like a mis- communication but this is the sort of situation where a bit of experience would come in handy

Yep. 100%.
I have more confidence in this management set up though.
Maybe some common sense will be applied - ie at least one of them pads up.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Sussex 181-9 - fat lady is clearing her throat

A repeat of last season - a decent first innings lead and then fold in the second innings. There's a pitch taking a bit of turn but it's not a raging bunsen. We're in desperate need of a batsman who can just stick in - Haines has a had a good start but he's a young lad and shouldn't be expected to do it all.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Yorkshire's last wicket was worth 51 runs. Our last 3 were worth 6.
We lose by 48.

That's true but our last three batsmen were all aged 20 or under: the Yorkshire last three are 24, 31 and 28 (two of them are internationals). It's not the kids' fault: Van Zyl and Brown are senior players, they should take a bit of responsibility. Yorkshire's 3 scored 92, ours scored 40. Brown did better but he's the captain and should be helping his junior players.

The real problem - as I said yesterday - is that we're at least two senior batters short - it would look different with Salt and Head in the side. And Wright should have been drafted back into the FC team until Salt and Head were available

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here