Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] ***Sussex v Northants - match thread***

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Haines and Carson have stepped up this season.
Crocombe, Atkins Thomason have on the whole done OK.
Clark and Rawlins are lucky to keep getting chances.
Hunt has been low key so far.
That’s not a bad return on a whole load of inexperienced players.
The bigger problem is the experienced players. Meaker is proving every inch the duff signing.
With his talent Van Zyl should be filling his boots but he can come across disinterested at times, particularly in the field.
And as for Head....it’s inexplicable. I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt as it’s still quite early days but he can’t keep failing.
We could also do with Garton powering on after an improved performance in this game. He’s a big big talent but his bowling has gone backwards a little.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The bigger problem is the experienced players. Meaker is proving every inch the duff signing.
With his talent Van Zyl should be filling his boots but he can come across disinterested at times, particularly in the field.
And as for Head....it’s inexplicable. I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt as it’s still quite early days but he can’t keep failing.
We could also do with Garton powering on after an improved performance in this game. He’s a big big talent but his bowling has gone backwards a little.

Fair assessment that (apart from Hunt, he did well in his first game and has been injured since)

I think Clark and Rawlins have had plenty of chances, I fully expect to see Orr in the team for the next game. And, if Salt isn't fit, we may see Coles too.

What I find inexplicable is the way that experienced players are ignored. I'm all for giving kids a chance but why was CJ allowed to go to Barbados rather than play in this game? What's Bopara doing? I think it's fine to base the team around future players but one more experienced head may have helped.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Fair assessment that (apart from Hunt, he did well in his first game and has been injured since)

I think Clark and Rawlins have had plenty of chances, I fully expect to see Orr in the team for the next game. And, if Salt isn't fit, we may see Coles too.

What I find inexplicable is the way that experienced players are ignored. I'm all for giving kids a chance but why was CJ allowed to go to Barbados rather than play in this game? What's Bopara doing? I think it's fine to base the team around future players but one more experienced head may have helped.

When Bopara signed he said “I want to emphasise that I am not giving up red-ball cricket but I will, for now, play less of it to find time in the calendar year to up-skill in T20 and take my game to a new level as I still have a drive to play international cricket”.

I remember whispers that he would play first class cricket when needed. Clearly not the case. Perhaps Covid last season put an end to that. Low motivation needed any excuse to push him away from FC cricket.

As for Chris, I don’t mind him having a break following a long bubble stint over the winter / spring in Asia.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

i wouldn't be wasting my time analysing our current 4 day team, accept we are the southern cousins of Derbyshire and hope that the T20 might give us a greater chance of winning a few matches.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I think most who contribute to the NSC cricket threads are realistic enough not to judge the current team on results alone.
It is interesting to see who of the youngsters can handle fc cricket though.
If two or three come through it could set us up for the years to come.
Maybe we are watching the development of a future international?

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
When Bopara signed he said “I want to emphasise that I am not giving up red-ball cricket but I will, for now, play less of it to find time in the calendar year to up-skill in T20 and take my game to a new level as I still have a drive to play international cricket”.

I remember whispers that he would play first class cricket when needed. Clearly not the case. Perhaps Covid last season put an end to that. Low motivation needed any excuse to push him away from FC cricket.

As for Chris, I don’t mind him having a break following a long bubble stint over the winter / spring in Asia.

There have certainly been mixed messages with Bopara but a middle order of Van Zyl, Head and Bopara would be hugely depressing for Sussex cricket, even if we picked up the odd win.
It may be more worthwhile to take the hit and see if Clark has what it takes. Obviously at the moment it’s a no, but at least we, and he, will know.

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
There have certainly been mixed messages with Bopara but a middle order of Van Zyl, Head and Bopara would be hugely depressing for Sussex cricket, even if we picked up the odd win.
Don't know how good Bopara would be at the moment, but a midfield of Van Zyl and Head is (unfortunately) what we've got!

Yikes, I think, would be the appropriate response ..............

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here