Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussex Clubs

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
The problem with Sussex clubs is the lack of infrastructure meaning it needs heavy investment in facilities which is cost prohibitive and which will always limit the ability to climb the pyramid as you have to fund the squad too. Brighton suffered with this as no alternatives to groundshare with and the cost securing facilities to sustain Championship football. Thank god we have Tony Bloom.
http://www.lewesfc.com/regeneration/

The £5m investment in the Dripping Pan and a 3g training pitch will be a big boost to Lewes.

The solar panels on one of the stands are also helping Lewes' finances.
http://www.lewesfc.com/solar-income-reports/

Lewes are a great example of how a club can be run. I think they will see a lot of success in the future.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
And not with their level of support. I'm not knocking the club, I've got a soft spot for them since living in Peacehaven during the '90's, but they simply don't get enough fans through the gate to support a team in the higher reaches of non-league football.

Agree here, I can't see them going any further.

I have been to see them a few times this season and seen some good football, it's a decent friendly club.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Have you been to Worthing ? The only way anything from Worthing can go higher is with a stair lift.........

Oi. I was brought up in Worthing.

And used to go and watch "The Rebels" when I was a kid and before being promoted to the Goldstone. In the 1960's in the Athenian League, as I remember.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
I see my local club, East Grinstead, are in the Ryman South, after winning the Sussex County League for the first time. However, I think they're struggling - Simon Funnell was sacked in November I think. I used to see them occasionally in the early 1990s when they were in the Second Division of the SCL. It only used to cost a couple of quid, they had a covered terrace, a decent clubhouse and bacon rolls for sale for £1. The club was quite friendly and used to get attendances of 200 or so. However, sides like that don't seem to be able to go much further, and their crowds don't really increase - look at Whitehawk, for example; the Hillians are an exception. Crawley Down were another example - they got into the Ryman South, but I think had to be bailed out by a benefactor. CD is only a large village and can't really sustain a club above the SCL.

The club I can't make out is Haywards Heath - they used to be high flyers in the SCL First Division and have a pretty decent ground. Yet they are now struggling and went down to the Third Division for a while. I don't know where they are now.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London
I
I see my local club, East Grinstead, are in the Ryman South, after winning the Sussex County League for the first time. However, I think they're struggling - Simon Funnell was sacked in November I think. I used to see them occasionally in the early 1990s when they were in the Second Division of the SCL. It only used to cost a couple of quid, they had a covered terrace, a decent clubhouse and bacon rolls for sale for £1. The club was quite friendly and used to get attendances of 200 or so. However, sides like that don't seem to be able to go much further, and their crowds don't really increase - look at Whitehawk, for example; the Hillians are an exception. Crawley Down were another example - they got into the Ryman South, but I think had to be bailed out by a benefactor. CD is only a large village and can't really sustain a club above the SCL.

The club I can't make out is Haywards Heath - they used to be high flyers in the SCL First Division and have a pretty decent ground. Yet they are now struggling and went down to the Third Division for a while. I don't know where they are now.

I follow the Heath

Good ground and for a town of 20,000, I agree it's amazing they struggle

Now in Div 2 of SCL

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London
Was wondering what the hierarchy of Sussex Clubs was. Think the top 13 are correct and then followed by the Sussex County League, excluding the Dorking infiltrators.

1. BHA- championship
2 Crawley - League One
3. Whitehawk - Conference South
4. Eastbourne Borough - Conference South
5. Bognor Regis - Ryman Premier
6. Peacehaven - Ryman Premier
7. Lewes - Ryman Premier
8. Burgess Hill - Ryman South
9. Worthing - Ryman South
10. Three Bridges - Ryman South
11. East Grinstead - Ryman South
12. Hastings - Ryman South
13. Horsham - Ryman South

Leads on the question of whether we will ever see the day when there are three Sussex clubs in the top four Divisions. Seems unlikely.

Great post

I often wonder if Sussex football has ever been as strong as the recent past?

2 professional clubs and many high in non-league

It was only recently that Eastbourne and Lewes were in the Conference as well

Whitehawk might make the playoffs this year....

Snowy

Jul 14, 2003
Perranporth
Always amazes me that a town the size of Worthing cant support a team higher up the league pyramid.<br/>

They are completely broke. Recently reported that the players aren't being paid.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
http://www.lewesfc.com/regeneration/

The £5m investment in the Dripping Pan and a 3g training pitch will be a big boost to Lewes.

The solar panels on one of the stands are also helping Lewes' finances.
http://www.lewesfc.com/solar-income-reports/

Lewes are a great example of how a club can be run. I think they will see a lot of success in the future.

Does the £5m investment in the ground bring it up to league standard? If not, how much would that cost to redevelop?

They spent millions when they had their run to the Conference (putting in an entrance for away fans behind the far goal / route into the ground for an ambulance / seated area, etc) and it nearly bust the club just trying to bring it upto conference standard.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath

I agree In what you say about Haywards Heath it is sad how they have sold bits and pieces of its ground to keep it running it was one of the best grounds in Sussex once. I believe they played in the Metropolitan league and played against Arsenal reserves In front of a huge crowd . I watched them in the charity cup final In the late 60/70s and I think they beat Seaford on aggregate 9-1 met Brain Powney was watching the away game at Crouch Gardens. I traveled on a free coach provided by the Andrews coach company who's son was playing for the Bluebells .

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Can't see Lewes getting that high up the pyramid again any time soon as they over-stretched themselves last time and nearly went out of business in the process when their backer ran into his own financial difficulties

Yeah you're right and they probably are at a level that'll they'll stay (quite happily) for a while, but you never know. It's certainly possible other clubs like Whitehawk and Eastbourne could make it up to the the 5th tier though.

The Brighton Ace

Nov 14, 2008
Sussex by the sea
Worthing is good fun and nice to have a beer whilst watching football but facing some challenging times. Currently the player budget is £0 and they're playing for free. Adam Hinshelwood is manager and doing a fantastic job.

Weatherman

Jun 10, 2008
Peacehaven have released Gatting, El Abd and Fraser . Inevitable really as the crowds haven't improved enough to cover the extra cost.. of two promotions.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here