Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Sunday Times interview with GP

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Indeed paywalled, please post if allowed :)

It's not. There'd be precious little point them paywalling if people just cut and pasted onto other sites. I think [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] has been very clear and consistent about this; no re-posting of full articles and no use of copyright protected images.

Absolutely fine to give the gist of what he said and a couple of quotes though.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
You can read any paywalled articles from anywhere through pasting the URL in the "My url is alive and I want to archive its content" at this site:

https://archive.ph/

Not sure why a writer or journalist would want to promote that though. It's getting much, much tougher to get paid for quality writing precisely because the only thing that generates any income these days is click bait. Do they take "exposure" for cigarettes and pizza in Sweden?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Not sure why a writer or journalist would want to promote that though. It's getting much, much tougher to get paid for quality writing precisely because the only thing that generates any income these days is click bait. Do they take "exposure" for cigarettes and pizza in Sweden?

Our Scandinavian commenter hates journalists. As if he'd give a flying fack about their incomes, livelihoods or reputations!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Yeah well thats life. This weekend I gave a beer to a guy who normally works as a bartender.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
OK - here are a few quotes. The article explores GP's playing history starting with day he came on as sub for England U21s, the only time he played an international game. “A 2-0 win . . . I didn’t play so well. I was on the bench a lot at Southampton and it was my first game for ages.”

Continues: "This is typical of how Potter speaks about his playing career. He tends to be dismissive, self-deprecating, once saying in a Sky interview, “I was bang average. I could play badly anywhere, I was one of those guys........“I was a decent footballer who wasn’t absolutely great in any position. A left back who wasn’t great at defending. A midfielder good going forward but who never had blistering pace. And maybe I didn’t quite believe in myself as well."

Continues with Ostersund, and how GP endeavours to coax more from players: “Fundamentally, people want to feel part of something,” says Potter, “and you achieve that by understanding them when they come in, what they’re good at and not so good at, and how you can help them do more of the things they’re good at and less of the things they’re not.”

As part of his Masters in Leadership & Emotional Intelligence, GP wrote a thesis on Reflective Practice, deemed worthy of publishing. He was denied Pro Licence training at first as viewed an 'outlier', successful on second application.

Tough personal experience in northern Sweden but also for his wife and kids on return who had to adjust to UK way of life. Close to his parents: “I would say we are all a product of our parents,”

Concludes: Potter is 47 and if you ask him about predictions he’ll be the next England manager, he will brush it off. For him, it’s not about motoring towards big ambitions, but the journeying; the doing your work and making yourself and the collective better every day. When you lose your parents, he reflects, “You think ‘what’s life about?’ We’re not going to be here for ever. There’s going to be a point when we’re not here, when I’m not going to be here — what’s that about?

“But these are the things life brings up and we have to deal with them. So, choose something meaningful that has purpose. That makes you feel you’re making a difference in somebody’s life, because that’s ultimately what’s important.”

Amen to that, I say.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
OK - here are a few quotes. The article explores GP's playing history starting with day he came on as sub for England U21s, the only time he played an international game. “A 2-0 win . . . I didn’t play so well. I was on the bench a lot at Southampton and it was my first game for ages.”

Continues: "This is typical of how Potter speaks about his playing career. He tends to be dismissive, self-deprecating, once saying in a Sky interview, “I was bang average. I could play badly anywhere, I was one of those guys........“I was a decent footballer who wasn’t absolutely great in any position. A left back who wasn’t great at defending. A midfielder good going forward but who never had blistering pace. And maybe I didn’t quite believe in myself as well."

Continues with Ostersund, and how GP endeavours to coax more from players: “Fundamentally, people want to feel part of something,” says Potter, “and you achieve that by understanding them when they come in, what they’re good at and not so good at, and how you can help them do more of the things they’re good at and less of the things they’re not.”

As part of his Masters in Leadership & Emotional Intelligence, GP wrote a thesis on Reflective Practice, deemed worthy of publishing. He was denied Pro Licence training at first as viewed an 'outlier', successful on second application.

Tough personal experience in northern Sweden but also for his wife and kids on return who had to adjust to UK way of life. Close to his parents: “I would say we are all a product of our parents,”

Concludes: Potter is 47 and if you ask him about predictions he’ll be the next England manager, he will brush it off. For him, it’s not about motoring towards big ambitions, but the journeying; the doing your work and making yourself and the collective better every day. When you lose your parents, he reflects, “You think ‘what’s life about?’ We’re not going to be here for ever. There’s going to be a point when we’re not here, when I’m not going to be here — what’s that about?

“But these are the things life brings up and we have to deal with them. So, choose something meaningful that has purpose. That makes you feel you’re making a difference in somebody’s life, because that’s ultimately what’s important.”

Amen to that, I say.

He's 48 and it matters at that age :lolol:

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Probably my favourite interview/article so far. The guy is lovely and increasingly showing journalists how fascinating he is.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
We will never have a nicer, better manager. Enjoy him while we can. As it implies in the article, nothing is forever.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
A lot of people on here mock Swansman for following Potter around but do you blame him?!

GP is just a brilliant and fascinating manager and man. We’re so lucky to have him.

Will always be grateful to Ashworth for spotting his potential.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here