Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Student loans

Jimmy Grimble

I’ve seen clients make substantial gifts to their kids for that, six figures a pop.
It’s a different world for some. I appreciate there has always been a split of the haves and have nots in society in terms of housing, but we are at a point where it’s the largest it’s ever been. Social mobility is close to impossible for those from a family on a low income; their only hope is some enormous good luck or being blessed with innate talent in a field where vast earnings are possible. Hard work and long hours is unlikely to be enough; I’m sure this wasn’t the case in decades gone by.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Helps with IHT planning/avoidance providing the parents survive 7 years……..

£200 billion in student loans outstanding and £20 billion a year being added, with supposedly around 25% expected to be repaid (increasing to 60%+ over time but can’t see that happening personally).

Particularly daft that anyone studying to become a doctor, nurse or similar ends up with student loans. Should be written off providing they give sufficient time back to the NHS through employment.

Medical courses should be fully funded, with a rule that x years post qualification are spent full time in the NHS. It was incredible that nursing bursaries were ended, it wasn’t a great sum but it made it viable for many.

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Medical courses should be fully funded, with a rule that x years post qualification are spent full time in the NHS. It was incredible when nursing bursaries were ended, it wasn’t a great sum but it made it viable for many.
Daughter did hers in Scotland where they still are and also got a bursary (wouldn’t be able to now as she’d be classified as an ‘international student’ and would have to pay)

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
That an invading Iraq because they had weapons of mass destruction......

New Labour were nothing but watered down Tories.
Both parties reflect the view of the majority of the British (English?) public.

The real question is whether you want watered down Toryism or the full strength version, the former has to be preferable surely at least it has an interest in making the NHS survive.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Thank you for this thread as had similar questions. Graduated 2004 so replies have been helpful too.

Can't see me ever earning enough to have to pay it back. Flirted with a few pence a week a couple times in UK from memory.

Pissed off they locked it at 0.5% and then incredibly quickly decided to break that promise and upped it to many, many times that. Meant I suddenly had zero interest in paying it back either as they just seem to be allowed to change promises and agreed terms at any point. Just hope once we get to the 30 years or age 65 etc. they don't decide they are allowed to grab it and 6x the origional amount from our kids etc.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I’m a remainer. Brexit hasn’t DIRECTLY cost me the student loan fees I now owe. Relevance?

Relevance is that politicians lie, and they do it for a living. I haven’t voted LD either since the student loan U turn FWIW and can best describe myself as disenfranchised.

The loan system is a car crash, education is an investment and by offering HE on a universal basis you widen opportunities, reduce poverties and increase skills & knowledge.

What we have in this country is resentment from those who don’t attend, who believe they are subsidising the system (they’re not, the increased productivity , earnings and tax paid by graduates more than pays for itself). Resentmrnt from graduates who have to repay the loans, (although just over 40% repay in full). Resentment from bigots & racists towards international students as they are counted as migrants (yet only 0.1% stay in UK following their courses) and a student loan company that is a bureaucratic, inefficient f*** up.

Last edited:

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Relevsnce is that politicians lie, and they do it for a living. I haven’t voted LD either since the student loan U turn FWIW and can best describe myself as disenfranchised.

The loan system is a car crash, education is an investment and by offering HE on a universal basis you widen opportunities, reduce poverties and increase skills & knowledge.

What we have in this country is resentment from those who don’t attend, who believe they are subsidising the system (they’re not, the increased productivity , earnings and tax paid by graduates more than pays for itself). Resentmrnt from graduates who have to repay the loans, (although just over 40% repay in full). Resentment from bigots & racists towards international students as they are counted as migrants (yet only 0.1% stay in UK following their courses) and a student loan company that is a bureaucratic, inefficient f*** up.
Not sure what we’re arguing/debating about, we both completely agree.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
NSC I think I need your help.

I got a letter from the students loan company today requesting information on my working situation. It says that they need this info even if I'm living overseas.

Now, I graduated uni in 2001. When I took the loan I was told that if I lived overseas I didn't have to pay and after 20 years it would become invalid/null(if thats the right term - I wouldn't have to pay it).

I've lived overseas for 20 years. Before I left I told them that I was moving overseas and asked what i should do about my loan. They said nothing, just tell them when I move back. So, I've spent the last 20 years not too worried about it as I've been overseas. It's also been over 20 years since I left uni so based off my previous knowledge it should now be null and void.

However, I can't find anything online that backs that up. What I can find is if you took out a loan between 1998 and 2006 it won't be wiped until I'm 65. This is definitely not 20 years after I graduated.

Does anyone have any experience of this? What's going on? How can it be 65 when they told me it was 20 years when I signed up?

Any help is much appreciated, it's currently a bit of a worry.

Thanks!
Plenty of ex pats over here paying back student loans.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here