Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Stan Bowles Rip

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
What a partnership with Gerry Francis. Stan Bowles was from a wonderful era of naturally gifted players who didn’t need to try too much and liked to party. Hudson, Worthington, Best, Marsh.

Our primary school teacher took us to see that QPR team at Loftus Road in 1976, their final game, they won and topped the First Division. Bowles ghosted amidst opposition defences.

RIP.
I was there. Against Leeds. I think it's still their record attendance.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
When I was first forcibly relocated to England (Medway Towns) in the early 70's, I'd cherry-pick London games to watch every Saturday. West Ham were always first pick. If they were playing away, QPR would always be second pick, purely on account of the magic skills of Rodney Marsh. It was a sad day indeed when QPR sold him on. And then - f*ck me! - they only went and replaced him with the equally magic skills of Stan Bowles :bowdown:

RIP Stan :down:

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Stan Bowles was the kind of player who made many of us love the game. Players in the image of Best, Marsh, Worthington, who made the game fun and entertaining. In a great QPR team, he was the icing on the cake and of course should have played many more times for England. RIP.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Whilst I do just (only just) remember Bowles playing, I recall the ‘finger in the air corner’ on The Big Match, in reality I was a little to young to really appreciate his talent. Along with Best, Marsh, Hudson etc etc

RIP to another character gone.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
That's because the FA always appoint "yes" men who are f***ing useless and who don't recognise talent..
I don't think Don Revie could ever be described as a yes-man.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
I don't think Don Revie could ever be described as a yes-man.
No but Stan may have turned him down to play for Leeds. That’s what happened to Malcolm McDonald. He scored all 5 goals against Malta and Revie stilled dropped him and the reason given was that he turned Leeds down for, I think, Newcastle.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here