Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Squad trimming... who stays, who goes?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Players with twelve months on their contract can't (although I know it goes on clandestinely). Still can't go on a free with twelve months left on their contract though.

Fact is, Bissouma is a Brighton player for the next two seasons, unless we say so.

Nope, but could threat their way out very cheapily. In a year he could say "either you sell me very cheap or I walk for free by the end of the season".

But you are right, he is a Brighton player until Tony says he isnt sometime this summer.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Nope, but could threat their way out very cheapily. In a year he could say "either you sell me very cheap or I walk for free by the end of the season".

But you are right, he is a Brighton player until Tony says he isnt sometime this summer.

Exactly. I was pointing out that he won't leave for free in 2022. There's still a lot of chicanery and wriggle room in all football negotiations at the PL level though!
Agents can and will be a pain wherever they can (or more specifically, where they can benefit!)

Bissouma will have a sell on value now - but I don't think it will be any lower in 12 month's time. Could be 50 to 70% more..........

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Players with 6 months left on their deal can talk to other clubs, and then arrange to move on a free at the end of their contract.

Only with foreign clubs though. Part of the Bosman-ruling was to give players the opportunity to do this six months before their contracts end, but in the Premier League the clubs got some kind of separate agreement where they cant approach players until the contract actually expires.

Exactly. I was pointing out that he won't leave for free in 2022. There's still a lot of chicanery and wriggle room in all football negotiations at the PL level though!

Indeed, you are 100% correct about that - but to get the full value he needs to go now or latest in January 2022, or it all could very easily turn into a shitshow.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Only with foreign clubs though. Part of the Bosman-ruling was to give players the opportunity to do this six months before their contracts end, but in the Premier League the clubs got some kind of separate agreement where they cant approach players until the contract actually expires.

Indeed, you are 100% correct about that - but to get the full value he needs to go now or latest in January 2022, or it all could very easily turn into a shitshow.

It's a gamble to be sure. He could have a shit season, or a career ending injury. On the other hand, he could have a stormer, propelling Brighton to the top ten (or very near it). You're call!

Well, actually it's TB's call - but it's a bit of a blinder, isn't t?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It's a gamble to be sure. He could have a shit season, or a career ending injury. On the other hand, he could have a stormer, propelling Brighton to the top ten (or very near it). You're call!

Well, actually it's TB's call - but it's a bit of a blinder, isn't t?

There are too many negatives with keeping him, like a drop in form or injury, and I dont think TB feels he can afford to let £50-60m just turn into sand, after all he's said that the club needs to be sustainable and then you have to sell top players every now and then. But another overlooked reason Bissouma is going this summer, is that the club wont like to have a reputation of denying the players big moves. That would be very off-putting when trying to sign the most talented players.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
£50-£60 million, and I don't think there's any doubt he'll go. But no bids anywhere near? - I don't think there'd be much case of a 'You're holding my career back' narrative. He'll go - when it's beneficial to all parties.
I dare say there's been discussion - there's probably already an agreement between club and player as to what is the tipping point.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Players with twelve months on their contract can't (although I know it goes on clandestinely). Still can't go on a free with twelve months left on their contract though.

Fact is, Bissouma is a Brighton player for the next two seasons, unless we say so.

Correct, but I don’t think we’ll stand in his way. So long as the deal is the right one for the club.

This is the model Tony wants. To be self sustainable. That doesn’t work if we don’t ever sell valuable players.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
There are too many negatives with keeping him, like a drop in form or injury, and I dont think TB feels he can afford to let £50-60m just turn into sand, after all he's said that the club needs to be sustainable and then you have to sell top players every now and then. But another overlooked reason Bissouma is going this summer, is that the club wont like to have a reputation of denying the players big moves. That would be very off-putting when trying to sign the most talented players.

I’m genuinely not scared over us selling Bissouma. I think it’s exciting to see if our succession planning is working and more time for Moder and Moises to fight over Biss’s spot.

Really think we’ve planned for this very well.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
£50-£60 million, and I don't think there's any doubt he'll go. But no bids anywhere near?

I think there is an argument that any of the top six might want him. If two or three go after him, that £30m media quote might well be doubled.
This is my view of where he could fit in:

Man Utd - A perfect foil for Pogba. Certainly better than Matic, Fred, McTominay & De Beek.

Man City - Fernandinho is surely leaving Citeh, he’s almost as old as Glenn FFS. Rodri and Gündogan will need some the top level competition for a spot that Biss would provide.

Liverpool - Wijnaldum is surely off to Barca. I think Biss is quicker and more dynamic anyway; he’d work so well with playmaker Thiago.

Arsenal - Better than the slightly disappointing £41m Partey but I don’t think the Arse would fork out for him.

Spuds - Better than anything they have in the centre. More mobile and dynamic than Winks, Höjbjerg & Sissoko.

Chelsea - Not sure they need him with Kante, Kovacic & Jorginho but if they sell one of those, they are a team who could afford Biss.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Anyone who watched any of the Man U - Liverpool game would've seen why Biss will leave.
He does the job of two players. It's a total farce that Man U play 2 holding midfielders and they, and other clubs, will always be on the look out for genuine DMs who can do that job on their own. Currently there's 3 in the Prem- Ndidi, going nowhere, Rice, 80 million, and Biss.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here