Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Southern Water rip off

stingray

Jan 23, 2018
Checking finances and this rogue company which scammed customers for years and was found guilty by OFWAT, discharges sewage more than any other in UK, is charging me 74 quid a month for my water and waste. We are family of four, almost never have baths. Is this comparable to others here? I seem to remember paying around 450 a year last time I checked...so it's more than doubled.

To make it worse their useless website won't let me register (unknown error...) so I can check account online.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Ours is £43/month for Yorkshire Water if that helps - be interesting to see how different it is.
Also a family of four. Quite high usage I would think as lots of washing and dish-washing for the little ones, plus garden watering.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Well someone’s got to pay the fines

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Southeast Water - £97/month

1 bath, 4 showers and 2 dishwashers per day, plus about 10 loads of washing/week...

Last edited:

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
Checking finances and this rogue company which scammed customers for years and was found guilty by OFWAT, discharges sewage more than any other in UK, is charging me 74 quid a month for my water and waste. We are family of four, almost never have baths. Is this comparable to others here? I seem to remember paying around 450 a year last time I checked...so it's more than doubled.

To make it worse their useless website won't let me register (unknown error...) so I can check account online.

You may have a leak outside underground. Can you see if your meter is still going round with all taps turned off.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
2 of us £31 a month on a meter. It went up massively a couple of years ago, and I complained. It turned out there was a leak between the meter and our stop cock, which was traced to the garden. SEWater removed the excess usage and adjusted the bill.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing

It’s not just southern water we are being ripped off left right and centre, I watched the game Sunday via South Africa and during half time the adverts were on one was for a sky sports package and it was quoting 99 Rand per month converted to GBP that’s £4.99 a month while in the uk I think the best I have seen is £20 per month for 6 months then it goes up to £40 per month. On the World at one Martin Lewis has just said expect gas and electricity prices to increase 51% by April for those not on fixed contracts

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patreon
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
£60/month for us…….was 3, now 2 of us. I know our showers use a lot (and are used lots). Metered.

£56 month with Southern Water. Two adults and teenage girl. I use a water meter and my bill increased from about £43/month last September after an annual check , presumably because I used gym showers less during COVID lockdowns. Am keeping on eye on them though and my future usage.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
£70 a month, house of 3 adults and 1 teenager, so most days, dishwasher twice a day and washing machine once a day, plus garden to water in summer and the missus likes a bath every day.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
On a water meter. 3 of us and I like lots of baths. £37 a month

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Water is another utility that should never have been privatised.

A few years ago they tried to put me on a meter, I wasn’t really adverse to the idea. Anyway, they came round to do a survey, and decided due to our pipes being boxed in, and we shared a supply with our next door neighbour, it couldn’t be done.
I did get a quite pissy letter from them, as if it was my fault they couldn’t meter me, and I subsequently had another 2 visits from them to check nothing had changed, even though I told them that, in writing. When they finally accepted that they couldn’t put a meter in , they put me on an estimated rate, and my bill went up £15 a month. I queried it, obviously, and they said it was because we had a 3 bedroom house, I did say there is only 2 of us living here, but they still tried to charge me the extra even though nothing had changed in our water usage. So, I phoned them again and told them that we had converted a bedroom into an office. They didn’t like it, and told me that when I sell the house, I can only sell it as a 2 bedroom.

I don’t think I’ll be asking Southern Water for a valuation, even if I was thinking of selling.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
£22 per month for 3 people on a meter with Anglian Water.
I did install a rainwater harvesting system about 7 years ago which has helped keep the bills down.

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
£42 pm Southern Water. 2 adults who both bath most nights + we use a fair bit in the garden for our veg patch and borders. We are on a meter.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Sea Cider

Dec 27, 2012
We are family of four, almost never have baths....

Sorry, but this made me chuckle :lolol:

On a serious note, our bill went up massively when we got a meter. Now about £65 for a family of 4. Seems like a massive rip off to me.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here