Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Sorry, not uptight about it, I LOVE a relegation battle

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
Bit sad to bounce my own thread but after the euphoria of the win v Liverpool I'm feeling a bit flat. I mean, I cannot see the bottom three changing now and is the season going to meander on to becoming, erm, a bit dull and meaningless? It's only Feb! I hate meaningless games (I don't do any preseason friendlies any more for that reason, just too non competitive). And I'm worried I might gamble too much now to give it more edge!!

No meaningless games with each spot in the league worth a few mil which under the circumstances we could use also a decent cup run if we can see off Leicester

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Bit sad to bounce my own thread but after the euphoria of the win v Liverpool I'm feeling a bit flat. I mean, I cannot see the bottom three changing now and is the season going to meander on to becoming, erm, a bit dull and meaningless? It's only Feb! I hate meaningless games (I don't do any preseason friendlies any more for that reason, just too non competitive). And I'm worried I might gamble too much now to give it more edge!!

Crikey. I wouldn't have that problem. I'll be revelling in watching the lads take teams apart playing free-flowing and great football while
seeing us climb up the table (fingers crossed).

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Promotions seen

3 to 2 early 70s
3 to to late 70s
2 to 1 late 70s
3 to 2 87
2 to 3 early 90s
3 to 4 late 90s
4 to 3 late 90s
3 to 2 2001
3 to 2 mid noughties
3 to 2 late noughties
2 to 1 a few years ago

Relegations

2 to 3 mid70s
1 to 2 84 (strictly not 'see' as I was living in Canada at the time)
2 to 3 85 (strictly not 'see' as I was living in Canada at the time)
2 to 3 early 90s
3 to 4 late 90s
2 to 3 early noughties
2 to 3 mid noughties

That's 11 definite promotions and 5 definite relegations, 7 if you count when I wasn't here (am I ever, though? ???)

That smells of success to me :rave::rave::rave:
Mathematically impossible!

If you started following the Albion when we were in Division 3 (or Division 3(S) in my case) we are now two divisions higher, so however many ups and downs we've had, there have to have been two more promotions than relegations.
If you started following in our Division 2/Championship days, you'll have seen one more promotion than relegation, and if you started between 1979 and 1983, it will be a zero sum.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We have our best ever 13th place to aim for and we're still in the Cup so plenty in the balance still.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

If you started following the Albion when we were in Division 3 (or Division 3(S) in my case) we are now two divisions higher, so however many ups and downs we've had, there have to have been two more promotions than relegations.
If you started following in our Division 2/Championship days, you'll have seen one more promotion than relegation, and if you started between 1979 and 1983, it will be a zero sum.

Yes indeed. Not entirely sure what happened there. Disappeared the the FA cup money perhaps? ???

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I think the clue is the two relegations shown in the promotions section. :facepalm:

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne

If we are safe, the team can play without any fear so we will hopefully see some great performances. Might also get a chance to use some of the younger players to try them out without pressure at the end of the season.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
If we are safe, the team can play without any fear so we will hopefully see some great performances. Might also get a chance to use some of the younger players to try them out without pressure at the end of the season.

Interesting you say that, it's oft repeated, but I've always felt that without the competitive impetus players ease off by say 5% and the performance drops dis-proportionally by 20% or some such. Hope you are right though.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Carry on in current form and no way we will be down among them - just look at our Goal Difference vs. bottom feeders (10 points above drop zone also a clue)...

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Interesting you say that, it's oft repeated, but I've always felt that without the competitive impetus players ease off by say 5% and the performance drops dis-proportionally by 20% or some such. Hope you are right though.

I think [MENTION=258]Pavilionaire[/MENTION] posted a link to a study that proved that once safe, midtable team's performances drop off significantly (See Crystal Palace 2019/20).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here