Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Some better news at last

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Good news for us poor pensioners

btw. I turn 65 next October. Do I qualify for the old gits discount on my ST half way through next season or do they leave it till the next season?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I thought this was going to be about an amnesty for poor ‘Swanny’ for all the OTT abuse he gets on here. Just shows how wrong you can be sometimes!

Back on track- Time to cash out your ‘worthless’ 1.8% interest ISAs and reapply for one at double the rate.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
As someone who will benefit I don’t feel that much glee. There are young people recently on the property ladder who are going to be fecked. I feel very grateful that I did not live through times anything like this when I was young. I did once have a 15% mortgage but it didn’t last too long.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009

btw. I turn 65 next October. Do I qualify for the old gits discount on my ST half way through next season or do they leave it till the next season?
Mine was last October and I was surprised to get the new season ticket as an old git. Might have been a clerical error, but being an old git, the memory played up and I forgot to tell them. (y)

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I am sick of watching the news broadcasts selecting every bit of negative news. This does nothing for mental wellbeing, so let's rejoice in a bit of good news for a change

Last edited:

el punal

As an old git myself you can rest assured that the club will reduce your payment at the start of the season. I pay for my season ticket by direct debit so (if I remember correctly) the club adjusted the amount pre-season - my birthday is also in October. You get the added bonus of reduced price tickets for away games too. Let’s hear it for the old dribblers! 🍻

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I thought this was going to be about an amnesty for poor ‘Swanny’ for all the OTT abuse he gets on here. Just shows how wrong you can be sometimes!

Back on track- Time to cash out your ‘worthless’ 1.8% interest ISAs and reapply for one at double the rate.
Nooo. Don't cash out, do a Isa transfer!

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
It's only gone back to a slightly more sensible rate, after the last decade of lunatic nothingness. I still find it hard to believe all those people who over-borrowed massively in the belief that interest rates would never return to "normal".

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
About 30 million people will be getting more interest on their savings.
We will be getting more but returns are still pitiful and probably 6-7% less than current inflation so...useless.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Mine was last October and I was surprised to get the new season ticket as an old git. Might have been a clerical error, but being an old git, the memory played up and I forgot to tell them. (y)
They've probably got you in CCTV taking 20 minutes to get up the stairs to your seat and thought awww poor old codger let's just put him down as a old fart he deserves the discount for effort and stair climbing artistic impression.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Someone in my distant family - a retired dentist - was making 20k a month last week from interest alone... after this he’ll be coining it in even more so.

No mortgage ... the rich get richer whilst young working families like mine are absolutely f***ed.

MAN, life is great.

Enjoy your 3% you absolute bastards.

Sitting in your high towers, musing on heraldry ...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Someone in my distant family - a retired dentist - was making 20k a month last week from interest alone... after this he’ll be coining it in even more so.

No mortgage ... the rich get richer whilst young working families like mine are absolutely f***ed.

MAN, life is great.

I knew my dentist was ripping me off but 20k a week, he must have Millions invested. Are you sure about that figure? 20k a month in interest?

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder

MAN, life is great.

Not fair to the majority of us old ‘uns.
I worked bloody hard (2 jobs some of the time) to pay my mortgage with interest rates in the teens at times. I’m certainly not rich, I don’t have a mortgage but I don’t have savings either. I can get by on my pensions and Mr P still works so that’s a bonus.
It wasn’t an easy time to get here to be sure!

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

I would stand by for the announcement from PB at the end of the season, where the age will be increased to 66 before the discount is allowed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here