Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Book - final update.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Will order , thinking of others with all you are going through is inspiring to me & everyone else I suspect .
Will order , thinking of others with all you are going through is inspiring to me & everyone else I suspect .
Thank you so much. I think we all do our little bits in different ways, just that most of us don't have cause to publicise it.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Sorry to hear your news but a heck of an achievement. So many talk about writing a book, so few do.

The old Oscar Wilde adage seems inversely relevant;

“Lovely to see you, what have you been up to”?

“Oh, I’m writing my book”

“Oh how fantastic, neither am I”

Well, you’ve bloody done it. You have my admiration.
We've all got a book in us, no doubt of that. Problem is we never have time, I just had a ton of it

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Ordered a copy which I look forward to reading. Huge admiration for you in writing under the toughest of circumstances.
Thank you. TBH the writing was a good escape from what was particularly nasty treatment, at least in the early days (early-mid 22)

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I’m hoping I can get huge support from NSC and I’m grateful to Bozza for allowing me the opportunity to have some real estate on this great forum.

I won’t beat about the bush, so here goes. I was diagnosed with bladder cancer 16 months ago, unfortunately it’s terminal and my treatment has pretty well finished as it has been unable to hold back the spread of the disease. I'm on the final lap but still able to function, feel surprisingly OK and I’m still making home games entirely under my own steam!

So, that said, I’ve been badgered by a few people to write a book about my life as it’s been a pretty interesting one. Perhaps not out of the ordinary, but I’ve certainly packed a lot in and even though I say so myself (well I would, wouldn’t I?) I think it might be an entertaining read.

I've just published the book and it’s available on Amazon in hardback and paperback (not Kindle just yet) and I’m looking to sell as many as possible, not for any other reason than I am trying to raise money for my chosen charity ‘Fight Bladder Cancer’ and will be donating sales proceeds to them. So I would hope that most will understand why I am appealing to you. I don’t even know if the book is any good but it was as good as I could do in my limited time, and I’ve never done anything like this before so go easy on me!

If you actually like the book then please do leave a glowing review at Amazon and Goodreads, it would also help immensely in promoting the book.

My second appeal is to ask that you spread this message far and wide, as far as you possibly can within your social and business networks to help me raise as much as possible for this very deserving cause. Small fact, bladder cancer is the 4th most prevalent in men yet receives only 1% of the national cancer research budget.

Finally, I’m normally pretty resilient but I’m not feeling so thick skinned at the moment so may I request that if you do help me out then not too many critical comments of the negative kind please :) Think of it as making a ‘small’ donation to a very needy charity and you get a free book for doing so, that way you ain’t going to be disappointed.

If you aren't a reader but would like to make a direct donation then you can do so at https://www.fightbladdercancer.co.uk/

Here’s a link to order from Amazon and I’ve pasted a picture of the dust jacket below as a taster.

Thanks for your time and UTA!

View attachment 158466
Hi Tony. I'm so sorry to hear your news and hope the form of the Albion can raise your spirits from time to time.

Other NSC'ers won't be aware, so forgive me for publicly thanking you for your generosity of spirit and time in kindly transferring you and your wife's season tickets to me and my wife for this wonderful season. And the years to come. While I thought I was having a torrid time dealing with the Albion in trying to organise seat moves for me and my family, you kindly stepped in and offered your seats when you must have been at the beginning of the journey which led to writing your book and all that comes with it. You and your kindness will be remembered by us at every home match when we sit there. Of course, I'll buy a copy of your book and offer you and your family all our good wishes for the challenges ahead.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
I am so sorry to hear the awful awful news @Rugrat i hope and pray that some miracle happens or the Drs got it wrong and you are on this mortal coil for many years to come.

I hate reading but i shall definitely be ordering a copy of this book... and reading it.

All the best mate x

Loadicus Trux

Jan 12, 2012
Unfortunately, the Big C has decided to visit a few of those I respect and love over the last couple of years. All the very best to you, and I'm looking forward to receiving a copy of your book. (y)

Brother Sid

Jan 4, 2006
Horsham
Fully sympathise as I have a urological related cancer (not yet terminal) and I wouldn't have the energy to write a book. Has your consultant explored any drug trials that may be available?
Anyway I've ordered your book as it's such a good cause.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I am so sorry to hear the awful awful news @Rugrat i hope and pray that some miracle happens or the Drs got it wrong and you are on this mortal coil for many years to come.

I hate reading but i shall definitely be ordering a copy of this book... and reading it.

All the best mate x
I spend my days writing copy and editing other people's words, but never read books. So Tony's was actually the first book I've 'read' for years. Although my job was to edit it, I ended up actually reading it - and then going back over it! - at times because I was so engrossed in the stories. Hopefully you'll be the same 👍🏼

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Hi Tony. I'm so sorry to hear your news and hope the form of the Albion can raise your spirits from time to time.

Other NSC'ers won't be aware, so forgive me for publicly thanking you for your generosity of spirit and time in kindly transferring you and your wife's season tickets to me and my wife for this wonderful season. And the years to come. While I thought I was having a torrid time dealing with the Albion in trying to organise seat moves for me and my family, you kindly stepped in and offered your seats when you must have been at the beginning of the journey which led to writing your book and all that comes with it. You and your kindness will be remembered by us at every home match when we sit there. Of course, I'll buy a copy of your book and offer you and your family all our good wishes for the challenges ahead.
Oh blimey, it was my pleasure. I didn't think I was going to make another season but things were on the up and we eventually did renew and ended up in deal seats in ESL, down at the south end. Its not great but a who!e let better than nothing. We lost all our loyalty points which was a real bummer too, so this renewal window we did renew even though I'm not destined to see the season through. If I do make any games next season watch out as we're back in W1B about 5 rows down from you!

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

All the best mate x
Thanks mate, as for miracles I learnt today that I've been accepted on an early stage trial of a new drug at Bart's. It's very much experimental but better than nothing!

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Unfortunately, the Big C has decided to visit a few of those I respect and love over the last couple of years. All the very best to you, and I'm looking forward to receiving a copy of your book. (y)
Yes, it's becoming much more common. I guess the only positive to that is that medical science will inevitabily catch up

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Fully sympathise as I have a urological related cancer (not yet terminal) and I wouldn't have the energy to write a book. Has your consultant explored any drug trials that may be available?
Anyway I've ordered your book as it's such a good cause.
Bugger! Let's hope it doesn't get worse for you. As I just mentioned in a reply to @SK1NT I've just heard I've been accepted on a phase 2 trial at Bart's that is kicking off now. I start Monday and its a hugely intense programme, every day for two weeks then twice a week thereafter

Last edited:

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I spend my days writing copy and editing other people's words, but never read books. So Tony's was actually the first book I've 'read' for years. Although my job was to edit it, I ended up actually reading it - and then going back over it! - at times because I was so engrossed in the stories. Hopefully you'll be the same 👍🏼
He must be biased :)

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Thanks mate, as for miracles I learnt today that I've been accepted on an early stage trial of a new drug at Bart's. It's very much experimental but better than nothing!
Fantastic mate, sounds positive. I know of a couple of people who have done these experimental trials and they have been life changing.

All the best

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Bugger! Let's hope it doesn't get worse for you. As I just mentioned in a reply to @SK1NT I've just heard I've been accepted on a phase 2 trial at Bart's that is kicking off now. I start Monday and its a hugely intense programme, every day for two weeks then twice a week thereafter
I'll be rooting for you. At the very least you have to be watching Dunky lift a European Cup in May 2024.

Al Bion

What's that in my dustbin
Sep 3, 2004
Up North
Sorry to hear about your prognosis Rugrat, hope the trial might work miracles. I am looking forward to reading a copy of your book when it arrives :)

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Sorry to hear about your prognosis Rugrat, hope the trial might work miracles. I am looking forward to reading a copy of your book when it arrives :)
Cheers Al, yes, always have hope! As for book hope you manage to finsih it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here