Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Slime ball Platini may not be FIFA President

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
This Michel Platini is anti-English meme is one of the recurrent great myths of NSC (like Mark Lawrenson being anti-Brighton or Mark McGhee being anti-black). It's one of those things that doesn't seem to have any rational reason but is repeated as if it's an established fact. Every interview with Platini that I read suggests that the guy is pretty straight and acts only in football's best interests, something that can't be said for most of football's bureaucrats. The vote for Qatar was bizarre but at least he was open and explained his reasoning.

I think a lot of the hostility is, as Merry Prankster says, because he's foreign. If his name was Mike Platt and said the same things, he'd be regarded as one of the good guys. And he was one hell of a footballer

D

Deleted member 18477

Platini's UEFA mysteriously decided, after France 2016, that the European Championships would hold matches across the continent, rather than in one country. Just so happens that Platini's country get the last one...

Not a fan. Really like it when there's a host country. Portugal 2004 was the last euros I really enjoyed. France 2016 will be better than Poland/Ukraine 2012 and Austria/Switzerland 2008.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
According to Wiki he criticised Manchester City's pursuit of Kaka and wanted them thrown out of Europe whereas Real Madrid's pursuit of Ronaldo was fine. He has also recently been complimentary regarding Monaco's big-budget spending.

Me, I just distrust him as I do all of the FIFA Executive, an organisation that needs dismantling and rebuilding from scratch.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Platini's UEFA mysteriously decided, after France 2016, that the European Championships would hold matches across the continent, rather than in one country. Just so happens that Platini's country get the last one...

This will probably a one-off and I think the idea has got some merit.

Most European countries aren't large enough to host a tournament by themselves so why shouldn't they get the chance to host a few games once in a generation? Cities like Prague and Budapest have the footballing heritage to be rightful host cities.

Christ, even England struggled to cobble together enough stadia for its World Cup bid so what chance do smaller nations have? Portugal and Austria have been left with several white elephant grounds because they are too small to be host nations.

Of course, Platini only got voted in by getting the support from the Eastern European nations so this is just payback from him!

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I have no evidence to suggest he did anything but vote honorably . Who were the other 13 people/bodies which voted for Qatar?

Well, if he isn’t corrupt, he certainly isn’t very bright. Why vote for a World cup which cannot possible take place at the time of year? I can’t imagine the conversation after voting went something like ‘’Merde Sepp, it’s 50 degrees in Qatar in July, nobody mentioned that in the prospectus’’

Perhaps, Platini knows best not to upset the Qataris. After all, PSG seem to exist on a sackful of cash from that part of the world or EDF energy who have huge contracts with Qatar Petroleum or even European Aeronautic Defence and Spaces who have a 200 million + contract for radar systems. As I said, best not to upset them – Of course it was a honorable vote.

As for the 2nd question - 13 other bent people.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here