Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Sir Mo Farah

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
It’s funny how questions are raised about Lewis Hamilton and now Mo Farah.

Oddball Britain.

I personally think Mo has a history of being economical with the truth and there are bits of this story that don't seem to stack up. There maybe answers there may not be. Yet on the Lewis Hamilton thread I'm arguing that he is one of the greatest motor racing drivers of all time.

Everything doesn’t have to be about race. It can be about the individual.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I personally think Mo has a history of being economical with the truth and there are bits of this story that don't seem to stack up. There maybe answers there may not be. Yet on the Lewis Hamilton thread I'm arguing that he is one of the greatest motor racing drivers of all time.

Hamilton - a couple of posters were relentlessly interested in his (legal) tax arrangements, whilst their heroes also living in Monaco were never questioned …. about anything.

Farah - he’s been tested to the hilt over 20 years by increasingly switched on sporting authorities. His coach may’ve had shit on him, but that’s often the case in athletics, rowing, cycling, but these coaches later work with clean athletes.

Personally I have zero interest in micro analysing his childhood and path to the UK, to try and catch him out.

I’ll always wait until facts are laid bare, innocent until proven guilty.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Nothing but praise for what he achieved after the problems he had had in early life.
However just felt it odd when he was so keen to come clean about what he went through he makes a documentary that took 2 years to make and then supplies such little detail about the 2 big players. His uncle who his mother passed him to for safe keeping and the woman who he first stayed with in uk who used him as a servant

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Nothing but praise for what he achieved after the problems he had had in early life.
However just felt it odd when he was so keen to come clean about what he went through he makes a documentary that took 2 years to make and then supplies such little detail about the 2 big players. His uncle who his mother passed him to for safe keeping and the woman who he first stayed with in uk who used him as a servant

Yes, with all the preamble to it I was surprised/disappointed that there was so much left to be disclosed especially, as you say, after two years’ research. Still, should keep someone busy for a while.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Unfortunately the press does have a habit of concentrating the finances and tax arrangements of black sports people though as we've seen particular with footballers.

Mick Jagger (and the rest of the Stones) hardly get a mention....

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Unfortunately the press does have a habit of concentrating the finances and tax arrangements of black sports people though as we've seen particular with footballers.

I don't disagree. Hamilton has always been hit with the "He doesn't pay his tax does he?" card when he is one of the highest tax payers in the UK and has his own charitable foundation (Mo's foundation wasn't quite so successful which is another story) when every F1 driver in recent memory has been based in Monaco or the like. Personal view is that sports star press coverage - favourable or otherwise - is often based on access to the individual. Taking the omnipresent Piers Morgan as an example, his favourite sport stars, actors, friends and everyone else are those that he has interviewed. He even defended Trump for a while which took some doing even for him. When the debate comes about whether Ronaldo or Messi is better, he always wades in on the tweet machine about Ronaldo being the GOAT. You only need one guess why. Harry Redknapp has been a press favourite just because he would speak to anyone and his dodgy dealings are legendary, just imagine if say Fabio Capello had that background before he became England manager? He'd have been slaughtered. Anyone that doesn't fall in line gets thrown to the lions. Raheem Sterling buying his mum a house being painted badly in the press is an obvious example but then so was Kier Starmer's donkey sanctuary. There is a club which you are either part of or a victim of.

My general point before that was that there are posters on this board (one who laughable posted a thread about the dangers of confirmation bias when he blocks anyone who disagrees with him to create his own echo chamber) throwing accusations of racism around when one doesn't conform to his viewpoint. Disagreeing with people is one of the reasons why we are on here to a degree (I think I signed back up to argue a point with you about Ed Miliband way back when which seems very lightweight given political discourse since then) but branding people "ists" on a number of threads during disagreements just confines another subject to the shit pile of the culture wars.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Failure of many of us to accept assertions this is nothing about race appears to have triggered a couple of posters.

Fancy that ???

Last edited:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

But they were hassled and imprisoned for smoking some dope…..

Everyone must get stoned

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Heartwarming athletics story of the week was Cam Levins smashing his Canadian marathon record by over 2 minutes. Way to go Cam training harder and better with his new coach and at 33 years of age too. That is some achievement.

He must have some coach. Anyone we know?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So knowingly he broke the law when applying for British Citizenship in 2000. He wasn’t a 9yr old. So under a different identity allegedly defrauded the nation of funds, allegedly defrauded the companies of sponsorship, allegedly defrauded the Queen, but it’s ok because he won gold medals and is an elite athlete. He has been a tax exile for years. Are there no laws anymore? I wonder how long average Joe Public would get away with such activities.

If he has stepped outside of immigration laws then his case should be treated like no other. I seem to remember a well known activist on the right side of politics being deported from the US for using a different name to enter the states and being deported from Mexico years later. Is this any different?

:facepalm:

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Hamilton - a couple of posters were relentlessly interested in his (legal) tax arrangements, whilst their heroes also living in Monaco were never questioned …. about anything.

Farah - he’s been tested to the hilt over 20 years by increasingly switched on sporting authorities. His coach may’ve had shit on him, but that’s often the case in athletics, rowing, cycling, but these coaches later work with clean athletes.

Personally I have zero interest in micro analysing his childhood and path to the UK, to try and catch him out.

I’ll always wait until facts are laid bare, innocent until proven guilty.

I found the thread you are talking about re Hamilton. I was arguing from the other side of the fence and checked it out of curiosity and It's as I remembered, the thread degenerated nto a shitfest as it always does when the ist brigade turn up. Anyway, I link it for viewing if you have nothing better to do.

https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?383743-Should-Lewis-Hamilton-be-knighted/page30

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I found the thread you are talking about re Hamilton. I was arguing from the other side of the fence and checked it out of curiosity and It's as I remembered, the thread degenerated nto a shitfest as it always does when the ist brigade turn up. Anyway, I link it for viewing if you have nothing better to do.

https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?383743-Should-Lewis-Hamilton-be-knighted/page30

It goes deeper and further back, 5 years ago for example.

https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?358109-Say-it-ain-t-so-Lewis!/page3

A handful of non tax professionals on nsc, with a peculiar laser focus on the 100% legal tax affairs of Lewis Hamilton. But never for white sportsmen, actors and pop stars who were born in the UK, settling quite young in would you believe it …… Monaco of all places.

Anyone would think racism was at play.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
It goes deeper and further back, 5 years ago for example.

https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?358109-Say-it-ain-t-so-Lewis!/page3

A handful of non tax professionals on nsc, with a peculiar laser focus on the 100% legal tax affairs of Lewis Hamilton. But never for white sportsmen, actors and pop stars who were born in the UK, settling quite young in would you believe it …… Monaco of all places.

Anyone would think racism was at play.

Quite an interesting read in places. At the very least it reminded what a **** Bono is.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here