Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Should MPs get a pay rise?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
If they want to make an attempt to take the country with them, they won’t.

But they will.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
You could get an additional 6 months pay after losing your seat - one month for each year you were an MP, with the first £30k tax-free.

Still not a package that is anywhere near good enough to attract the brightest and best talent in many cases. Huge pressure, intense public scrutiny, having to deal with endless beaurocrats and the constantly complaining public, limited job security.........for a salary that’s comparable with, for example, middle-management in a city financial institution (which would have much better benefits, likely a decent annual bonus, much less pressure, more job security, better career/progression prospects etc - and a better redundancy package if you do leave). Being an MP must be a vocational thing - most can’t be in it for the money.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Still not a package that is anywhere near good enough to attract the brightest and best talent in many cases. Huge pressure, intense public scrutiny, having to deal with endless beaurocrats and the constantly complaining public, limited job security.........for a salary that’s comparable with, for example, middle-management in a city financial institution (which would have much better benefits, likely a decent annual bonus, much less pressure, more job security, better career/progression prospects etc - and a better redundancy package if you do leave). Being an MP must be a vocational thing - most can’t be in it for the money.

I think many are in it because they can use it to further their contacts and therefore career . . . . or more importantly use the contacts and knowledge gained to assist and influence businesses, their decisions and get paid handsomely for doing it. so Many are in it for the money.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Nay , nay and thrice nay

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
I agree we should pay the market rate, but ban MPs from holding directorships, journalism, and talking assignments until after they’ve retired from Parliament. There are too many financial vested interests for MPs to vote even along party lines, let alone independently to the country’s benefit.

Agreed. And we should make it so they aren't allowed to take back handers from lobbyists / corporations to promote vested interests / support fat gov contracts to those parties etc. Also, they shouldn't be allowed to provide that support for future rewards.

I mean, I'm pretty sure they aren't allowed to do that now, but do any of the ****ers pay attention?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Lowest paid public sector workers getting a rise of £250pa (below the 2% rate of inflation so a PAY CUT in real terms).
MP’s to get £3K+ which is DOUBLE the rate of inflation.
A classic example of political “levelling up”

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
Being an MP needs to be a vocational job, free from the party whip and any second job or business interests that conflict. A decent sustainable salary should be paid to maybe 100 people, a representative sample of the population. Get rid of the rest and the House of Lords which we can replaced with a balanced second chamber, free from the current cronyism and, ffs, bishops!
The current system is corrupted by the revolving door between parliament, lobbyists and the corporate sector. We need independence of mind and the interests of the country to be foremost, not the petty interests of the self.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here