Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Should it have been a penalty?

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
At the match from where we sit it looked stonewall but me and my son immediately said offside. Also watching the replays don't think Allinson touched him

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
He possibly wouldn't have known how the contact happened in the moment, neither of them would have, but March trod on his wrist rather than Alisson hitting his legs to cause a fall.
Surely an experienced keeper like Alisson would have known that his arm was under Solly’s boot, rather than impeding him?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Am I right in thinking that the Sanchez handball incident couldn’t be checked by VAR?

It would have been accidental if he had slid out of the area with the ball still in his hands, so a yellow card and a free kick.

It’s not a red card offence, not offside or a penalty and no goal was scored so that incident doesn’t actually fall under the remit of the VAR.
I think you're right - that was my thought at the time.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Of course it’s in their remit to check for an offside. That’s a clear and obvious error if it’s not given*

*linos are also instructed to not flag for tight calls to let phases of play commence. In this instance the lino could have also flagged for offside after the pen was given. But that’s largely irrelevant as VAR will still check the offside.

Three key aspects to a penalty:

was there an infringement
was it in the box
was the ball in play

If VAR are used to check a penalty should be given, they have to check all three. Meaning they have to check if play should have been stopped in the pasage of play building up to the offence.

But the other week when Arsenal scored after Lamptey was fouled - the ruling was that VAR wasn't there to look at infringements in the build up to a goal.

Maybe when Sanchez took Salah down but not when March went down. Solly was offsides.
He didn't take Salah down - he got a clear hand to the ball, and as Pearce said on the commentary 'Salah flew through thin air'.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
But the other week when Arsenal scored after Lamptey was fouled - the ruling was that VAR wasn't there to look at infringements in the build up to a goal.
That's not true. It is absolutely there to look at infringements in the build up to goal or penalty. We've seen goals disallowed for fouls, handballs, offside. Anyone who said that is not paying any attention.

The question when reviewing incidents is how far back you go, and what the infringement is. An offside is usually an on or off decision, so VAR makes that call. A foul is a subjective decision so has to be a clear and obvious error. Personally, I wasn't convinced by the foul on Lamptey (and suspect if VAR did or should have reviewed it, they would have gone with the onfield decision). But, it was far up the pitch and we had ample opportunity to get back and defend the goal, so it was a different phase of play.

March's offside yesterday was directly followed by the 'foul'. It was clearly the same phase of play so will always be reviewed.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Am I right in thinking that the Sanchez handball incident couldn’t be checked by VAR?

It would have been accidental if he had slid out of the area with the ball still in his hands, so a yellow card and a free kick.

It’s not a red card offence, not offside or a penalty and no goal was scored so that incident doesn’t actually fall under the remit of the VAR.
Think it would have reviewed for an offside if the handball had been called by the ref. The Liverpool player running through was offside.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
That's not true. It is absolutely there to look at infringements in the build up to goal or penalty. We've seen goals disallowed for fouls, handballs, offside. Anyone who said that is not paying any attention.

The question when reviewing incidents is how far back you go, and what the infringement is. An offside is usually an on or off decision, so VAR makes that call. A foul is a subjective decision so has to be a clear and obvious error. Personally, I wasn't convinced by the foul on Lamptey (and suspect if VAR did or should have reviewed it, they would have gone with the onfield decision). But, it was far up the pitch and we had ample opportunity to get back and defend the goal, so it was a different phase of play.

March's offside yesterday was directly followed by the 'foul'. It was clearly the same phase of play so will always be reviewed.
Thanks. Yes, your explanation is what I thought it was - which is why I was a little surprised that the Lamptey decision wasn't reviewed. Maybe it was, but just not shown.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Think it would have reviewed for an offside if the handball had been called by the ref. The Liverpool player running through was offside.
I don’t think they can go back for an offside on a free kick.

Offside is only checked for penalties and goals.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here