Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Should 'elite sports' be stopped in tier 4 areas?

Albion 4ever

Feb 26, 2009
I recall reading around the time of Project Restart that each PL game requires about 400 people to be in attendance, so for every weekend that's 8000 people and associated movements around the country. If infection rates continue to rise at the same rate as they appear to be at the moment I believe it will become harder to justify that PL football should continue. Also, I can't be certain but I'm fairly sure that every game being broadcast live on some form of subscription platform is encouraging household mixing, with people 'popping round' to somebody else's to watch the matches.

However, I guess the only thing that will cause the PL to be suspended will be too many clubs with covid-depleted squads.

And with Covid rates being 1 in 85 have got the virus then that would mean on average 5 of those staff have it.
That will be higher in London and the SE.

Scott Parker now in isolation so can’t manage team on Boxing Day.

There will come a time when clubs won’t want to be without management and/or players and I think there will be a pause in January, maybe after the FA cup 3rd round weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Yes.

I really don't understand the thought processes of some on here who tell everyone to stay safe, Not kill your Granny but then think its perfectly ok for football teams to travel round the country and play matches in close proximity to each other. And that's not just football, I don't understand the darts either.

If the virus is "out of control" then I simply don't understand the justification. You can't have it both ways - except in your head.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
And with Covid rates being 1 in 85 have got the virus then that would mean on average 5 of those staff have it.
That will be higher in London and the SE.

Scott Parker now in isolation so can’t manage team on Boxing Day.

There will come a time when clubs won’t want to be without management and/or players and I think there will be a pause in January, maybe after the FA cup 3rd round weekend.

But they’re not anything like ‘average’ are they....they’re subject to a whole host of protocols (not just when they’re at the ground) and tested twice a week.......suspect in most cases they - and their families - are being extraordinarily careful. There will be the occasional infection but the rates amongst those connected with elite sport won’t be anywhere near ‘average’.

Albion 4ever

Feb 26, 2009
But they’re not anything like ‘average’ are they....they’re subject to a whole host of protocols (not just when they’re at the ground) and tested twice a week.......suspect in most cases they - and their families - are being extraordinarily careful. There will be the occasional infection but the rates amongst those connected with elite sport won’t be anywhere near ‘average’.

I’m not talking about the players, it’s the 400 staff needed to actually run a game in a stadium.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Should 'elite sports' be stopped in tier 4 areas?

Well, yes, obviously they should - but big money is involved - and big money will kill any number of us peasants to make sure big money just turns into bigger money

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
No. Absolutely not.

Mental health has always been an underlying issue throughout the pandemic. It is likely to continue to become more of a problem the longer we have to endure this.

Little things like sport are enough to keep many people going during these difficult times.

100% worth any risk, which is negligible compared to schools and supermarkets being open.

This 100%

Even the stress of watching Albion v SU last weekend is better than no footy.

Over the winter we all need it especially, look forward to matches more than ever

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I’m not talking about the players, it’s the 400 staff needed to actually run a game in a stadium.

All tested as per the players and all have protocols to follow (whether they are all following them is another question)

Junior is involved in ‘elite sport’ as part of the staff, not a player and has to be very careful. Tested weekly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here