Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Should cars be taxed on weight as well as emissions?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Size rather than weight. Our roads are not designed for pick up trucks and those huge SUV, range rover types. This means that they end up forcing other cars off the road in rural areas, blocking pavements as parking on the road would block the road etc. I can understand farmers using them but no-one else needs them.
Both really. But definitely a massive hike on american sized things with f*** all in them . . . Daft bints in X5's, 5' builders in Navaras and the like, with little more than a happy meal and a screwdriver in the back and a load area no bigger than a Bedford Rascal!

while we're at it, stop buses cutting through town on roads designed for a horse and cart!

Last edited:

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Heavily tax people who own an itty bitty car, or make them buy a proper one. Ban cyclists from the roads and DEFINITELY ban them from wearing lycra and ban the pair of old biddys round my way who walk in the road and not the pavement....in fact, ban everyone who gets in my way when I'm trying to get from A to B.
Ban the noisy little bastards going passed my house on the way to school.....and run over the pissed up students going passed my house coming back from the pub....why walk in the road you stupid cows!
I think I've covered most groups, sorry if I've omitted anybody, feel free to ban yourself :thumbsup:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
The simplest and fairest way is just to tax fuel - the more you use the more you pay.
The problem with that is there'll be an even bigger knock on effect via all those delivery vans

53p a litre duty and vat on top . . . . As it is.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Imagine having a set of scales for people beside check in/bag drop and surcharging people over a certain weight, mayhem and fights guaranteed
Absolutely ! Apologies for a frivolous comment.

Fun though!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
no as it wont address the problem. special licence or an outright ban for the large vehicles that arent suitable for our roads and towns. car parking an increasing nighmare as SUV and trucks dont fit spaces and many dont seem to be able to park straight - either cant see around their vehicle of just dont give a f***.

the problem with roads is we need more spending on them. between fuel duties and other taxes road users raise ~£32bn, while spending on roads is bit over £11bn. clearly we dont need to be paying more for the roads.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here