Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Shots on Target

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
There are two responses to this.

1. Yes. If you look at each of those games in isolation, based on how each game played out, I believe we should have the results I stated.

2. No. It is unrealistic to believe you will get "what you deserve" from each game.

So, attempting to find a a reasonable statement from this: I think we have been a lot better than our 5 point return suggests.

On the flip side though, as we haven’t taken what have been excellent chances and concede soft goals, do we deserve any more than we’ve got?

Despite my initial optimism this season, I’m growing increasingly frustrated with team selection, substitutions and being the “better team” but getting nothing/little for it.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Bored with reading these type of comments when we played like this away at one of the big sides? When was the last time we played like that away at one of the big sides?

Arsenal a year ago? but we won that one. Leicester in lock down maybe? Liverpool a year back? I don't think it's happened often enough for you to be 'bored' of it

I get what you're saying. Obviously I'd rather us be playing well than be playing awful football and stinking the league out. I was surprised at how well we played yesterday, like most I think given the starting line up. But I'm not talking about just games against the big guns, I'm talking about what seems to be most of our games. We have 2 draws from 5, possibly 6 games we played well in (bar one shocking half) and should have got more from, which is very similar to last season, particularly at the beginning of the season. Hopefully the results will start to come, but it is really frustrating that we're right down the bottom again at the moment whilst keep having to hear commentators saying that Brighton certainly don't deserve to come away with nothing here today but it looks that way...

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Spurs, one of the most potent attacking forces in the Premier League, had 3. Three. And one of those was a penalty that was soft at best.

It was a really decent Albion performance today who, for much of the game, made Spurs look very ordinary indeed.
Meh.

Yes spurs have a great potent attacking force, but they're not all that. They were crap against Burnley, Newcastle, West ham, Antwerp, Everton this season.

This is their first EPL win at home this season and shock horror it was against us. Spurs were tired and ordinary today and didn't have to get out of second gear to beat us.

Unless the pretty football starts getting results it's all completely pointless.

Having said all that a win Vs Burnley and things look much rosier.....

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I get what you're saying. Obviously I'd rather us be playing well than be playing awful football and stinking the league out. I was surprised at how well we played yesterday, like most I think given the starting line up. But I'm not talking about just games against the big guns, I'm talking about what seems to be most of our games. We have 2 draws from 5, possibly 6 games we played well in (bar one shocking half) and should have got more from, which is very similar to last season, particularly at the beginning of the season. Hopefully the results will start to come, but it is really frustrating that we're right down the bottom again at the moment whilst keep having to hear commentators saying that Brighton certainly don't deserve to come away with nothing here today but it looks that way...
Big teams love to let us 'play' and look good because they know we have the penetration of a flaccid chipolata. As soon as they need to they just turn up the heat and start attacking us, and it usually only takes a few minutes to score (see spurs and man u this season)

Then they return to their shape and get the cigar out again. Waiting for a break.

Under potter we will continue to look excellent in most games (especially against the big boys) but I'm very doubtful our results will turn around.

Hopefully we have enough to be the 4th or 5th worst team again.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
Tonight just 2.
I am not slagging off the team or management at all. But come on saying we are unlucky all the time etc. Yes we play nice looking stuff but we are not scoring the goals or looking like we will.

Tonight 2 shots on target and people on here saying we deserved a draw. The team selection tonight was typical Potter but not playing any strikers is madness.

I hope of course I am proved wrong and a bed wetter but I think this season is heading in a very worrying direction. But hey ho Burnley next week so fingers crossed.

Shots on target has been our downfall this season but I think a draw would have been fair in this game as Spurs only had 3 on target themselves. All of the stats were pretty even in this game.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Much discussion about our attack here, but the defence is also a major concern.

There’s little to be excited about in restricting opposition teams to a handful of chances, when without fail, some of those chances are converted into result affecting goals against.

A clean sheet or two or three would be most welcome, and take the pressure off of us having to score two or three goals to win.

The defence is clearly where Potter has been working the most this season. Switching to a back 3 in pre-season and giving White his debut, then bringing Burn in to add the height and strength that we had been missing at set pieces, then moving White to defensive midfield to make us less vulnerable to counter attacks, and most recently changing to a bigger taller keeper, presumably to come off his line more and enable us to keep a higher line at set pieces. All that in 7 games.

No doubt we've missed Dunk the last two matches

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Meh.

Yes spurs have a great potent attacking force, but they're not all that. They were crap against Burnley, Newcastle, West ham, Antwerp, Everton this season.

This is their first EPL win at home this season and shock horror it was against us. Spurs were tired and ordinary today and didn't have to get out of second gear to beat us.

Unless the pretty football starts getting results it's all completely pointless.

Any team/ player in a poor run of form only has to check when they play us as it appears in 100% of cases it ends

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
The defence is clearly where Potter has been working the most this season. Switching to a back 3 in pre-season and giving White his debut, then bringing Burn in to add the height and strength that we had been missing at set pieces, then moving White to defensive midfield to make us less vulnerable to counter attacks, and most recently changing to a bigger taller keeper, presumably to come off his line more and enable us to keep a higher line at set pieces. All that in 7 games.

No doubt we've missed Dunk the last two matches

Sorry but Burn is useless in the air for someone of his height. He got regularly beaten by spuds players all night. I'm sure he even ducked one as well

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Meh.

This - Spurs defence is abysmal and slow - 2 oil tankers at CB

CM is pretty average as well.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
This - Spurs defence is abysmal and slow - 2 oil tankers at CB

CM is pretty average as well.
Good that a spurs fan agrees with me.

Before and even after the match people on this board were hailing them as world beaters and that we nullified them brilliantly. Where as that was a pretty standard spurs home performance especially after a Thursday Europe game.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Big teams love to let us 'play' and look good because they know we have the penetration of a flaccid chipolata. As soon as they need to they just turn up the heat and start attacking us, and it usually only takes a few minutes to score (see spurs and man u this season)

Then they return to their shape and get the cigar out again. Waiting for a break.

Under potter we will continue to look excellent in most games (especially against the big boys) but I'm very doubtful our results will turn around.

Hopefully we have enough to be the 4th or 5th worst team again.

Well, I think we are the 4th or 5th worst team

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here