Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Sheffield United vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Did you think Potter was in jeopardy after the draw with Chelsea? Of course not so one defeat doesn’t change anything.

When we sacked Hughton we were playing unbelievably poor and negative football, we couldn’t meaningfully complete with top teams, we refused to bring through younger players and we were widely considered to be one of the poorest anti football sides in the league.

All that has been rectified, everyone can see we are heading in the right direction, as a club we look and feel like we are progressing whereas second season under Hughton we were clearly regressing. No way Tony Bloom sacks Potter.

Agreed. The club’s position is perfectly clear. This is a long term project that accepts relegation as a possibility. This means 17th and above is acceptable. I had my doubts before Christmas but Potter has since shown he can turn things around. Good enough for me and undoubtedly good enough for Tony.

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
errr because we didn't.

as per my post, I'm not saying we didn't create chances.
We just didn't look capable of putting them away.
And so it proved.

These things happen.
It isn't a criticism of the team over all, but yesterday we were not on top of our game.
And despite my usual optimistic outlook, I really couldn't see us scoring yesterday.

Right so because we didn’t score from the few very good chances that we created you translate that to never looking like scoring? One of those things that’s easy to say in hindsight I guess.

We created more xG than some games we did win this season, did you see us scoring in those ones though?

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
I doubt that we will ever agree about ANYTHING :smile:

Best chance of the game imo

It was a very good chance but not a 'perfect' pass as you described because it was behind Maupay.

I've marked in black where the ball needed to be in order for it to be 'perfect'.

Screen Shot 2021-04-25 at 12.51.02 PM.png

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Can’t find his thread so just gonna stick it in here - any idea when Lamptey is back? We miss him terribly in these games.

Had to have an op on his hamstring in the end and back for next season, but will be managed very carefully as he’s so fast - literally the fastest player in Europe - which makes him very susceptible to injury for a couple more years. Not doing this risks him having a career like Will Buckley or Michael Owen.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Right so because we didn’t score from the few very good chances that we created you translate that to never looking like scoring? One of those things that’s easy to say in hindsight I guess.

We created more xG than some games we did win this season, did you see us scoring in those ones though?

Basically you wait until you can see the trajectory of the ball in relation to the goal after it has left the attacker’s foot and judge whether or not the ‘keeper has reacted early enough to make the block to see if we ‘look like scoring’, or something like that. Hindsight basically.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
We’d do very well in the championship, even if we lost a few of our key players.

But we don’t go down, so it won’t matter.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

I was amazed that we failed to score against West Brom. I genuinely thought we would win the game all the way through, even after going behind.
I was also confident that we would get the equaliser against Sheffield United at home ( I was right that time)
But yesterday, as soon as we gifted them the goal, I really couldn't see us scoring.
Sheffield United were resolute and organised and were first to all the loose balls.We never really got our act together.

Bissouma's surging run to provide the opportunity to Maupay was one of the few highlights of the first half,
But no, as the ball came to Maupay, I didn't think for a second he would score.

Jahanbaksh added some intent in the latter stages of the 2nd half but even then, we just didn't seem to be firing.

Did you really think yesterday's performance was good?
For me it was one of our worst of the season.
There have only been 3 or 4 poor performances for me, but that was one of them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here