sheffield united sending off

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Agree with others, that giving the penalty, and brandishing the red acrd are two separate (connected) decisions. He had to blow for the pen if he felt it was, as he was required to stop play (the ball hadn't gone out). You'd think, unless he was 100% certain, that he would talk to his better placed assistant before showing the card. And if he WAS 100% certain, why change his mind at all.

The bottom line of course, is that the correct decision WAS made, but I disagree that the ref's actions were spot on.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I havent seen the incident but perhaps if he thought that itwas a penalty it was within the rules for an automatic red. After being told it wasnt a penalty that then negates the automatic red card, so one decision rests on the other.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Good on them for getting the right result in the end but one or other has failed in their job...

Either, the ref failed to glance at his assistants for a flag or the assistant was so slow the ref had already looked and continued with what he thought he saw.

Anyone have video of this?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I havent seen the incident but perhaps if he thought that itwas a penalty it was within the rules for an automatic red. After being told it wasnt a penalty that then negates the automatic red card, so one decision rests on the other.

Yes but he doesn't have to give the red straight away.He has to make the decision (whether it is or is not a penalty). I think he should then have waited to talk to the linesman if he was at all unsure (which he must have been to overturn it). You frequently see ref's give a penalty and then wait a few seconds before a card comes out.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Good on them for getting the right result in the end but one or other has failed in their job...

Either, the ref failed to glance at his assistants for a flag or the assistant was so slow the ref had already looked and continued with what he thought he saw.

Anyone have video of this?

The linesman didn't flag the incident when it happened because he didn't deem it a foul (the guy slid in and got the ball first). There was nothing for the ref to glance at, he just made the wrong call initially.

Good that the right decision was eventually made, but unfortunately it will probably lead to more prolongued appeals from players to officials on the offchance of getting it overturned like this one.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Saw this happen in Germany earlier this season. The player was off down the tunnel when he was called back.

All for it if it ends up with the correct decision being made. Don't see the problem to be honest.

That said, at the game I saw it happen, the original decision WAS the correct one and the meddling assistant messed it all up...

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Yes but he doesn't have to give the red straight away.He has to make the decision (whether it is or is not a penalty). I think he should then have waited to talk to the linesman if he was at all unsure (which he must have been to overturn it). You frequently see ref's give a penalty and then wait a few seconds before a card comes out.

At the time he gave the red card he was sure. It was after giving it that the doubt crept in and talking to the assistant confirmed it wasn't just a convincing appeal by the defending team, that it was a good tackle.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
All for it if it ends up with the correct decision being made. Don't see the problem to be honest.

I see your point but I fear the "ManUtd Syndrome" will rear its ugly head more and more if there is a possibility a ref could change his mind. Footballers are by far the worst at accepting decisions of any sport, this needs to be changed before Refs can be encouraged to reverse decisions which are wrong.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports