Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Seven members of the England ODI set-up test positive

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Ross County suspend football operations a few days before their season starts on Saturday after a Covid outbreak. We better get used to this unless they do now change the protocol.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57734725

Surely they'll need to change it. Like any other virus if you get symptoms you should stay away from people. They need to make the contracts get a test rather than isolate.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
For those who haven't seen it;

Revised England squad in full: Ben Stokes (Durham, captain), Jake Ball (Nottinghamshire), Danny Briggs (Warwickshire), Brydon Carse (Durham), Zak Crawley (Kent), Ben Duckett (Nottinghamshire), Lewis Gregory (Somerset), Tom Helm (Middlesex), Will Jacks (Surrey), Dan Lawrence (Essex), Saqib Mahmood (Lancashire), Dawid Malan (Yorkshire), Craig Overton (Somerset), Matt Parkinson (Lancashire), David Payne (Gloucestershire), Phil Salt (Sussex), John Simpson (Middlesex), James Vince (Hampshire)

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Surely if all restrictions are off and "we have to live with coronavirus" now, that should mean that self-isolating becomes a thing of the past. Or else why would people self-isolate if none of the other rules are in place?

I can only assume that you did not watch the Johnson announcement yesterday or any news programmes given that it was clearly mentioned that that the requirement to self isolate after testing positive or after coming into contact with an infected person will remain in place beyond 19th July,

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I can only assume that you did not watch the Johnson announcement yesterday or any news programmes given that it was clearly mentioned that that the requirement to self isolate after testing positive or after coming into contact with an infected person will remain in place beyond 19th July,

No, I didn't. The only thing I did read was a report saying that there would be more details about bubbles, self-isolating and travel at a later date.

But if that's the case, then I don't understand it. If coronavirus is that much of an issue to carry on with self-isolating, don't scrap all the rules in place because clearly it isn't 'safe' to do so. If it ISN'T going to be a problem – to the point where 'hands, face space' is a thing of the past – then let people live their lives without fear of having to self-isolate. You can't have it both ways :shrug:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
All is well, good news for Sussex as there is no way they will be robbing our players for the new squad, we might even be advantaged.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Would be ironic given we've had the outbreak down here if them bringing in Garton bought it into the camp, given it's likely to lead to Salt finally getting his chance...

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
That's what I thought. Surely individual isolations will have to come in sooner rather than later if we are to return to some form of 'normality'.

Judging by the anticipated level of infections, it could be chaos come August. We could have crowds of 20k/30k/50k etc crammed in a stadium watching under 23 sides playing most of the first team games because one or two first team players test positive. Or the games will be postponed because clubs can't even put the kids out.

What about the 20k/30k/50k people having to self isolate when there is a positive case in the crowd

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
That's what I thought. Surely individual isolations will have to come in sooner rather than later if we are to return to some form of 'normality'.

Judging by the anticipated level of infections, it could be chaos come August. We could have crowds of 20k/30k/50k etc crammed in a stadium watching under 23 sides playing most of the first team games because one or two first team players test positive. Or the games will be postponed because clubs can't even put the kids out.

Premier League football and international cricket has been handled differently.

International cricketers were in a secure group bubble by themselves 24/7. This has changed due to the impacts on them and their families.

Footballers have always lived at home, gone to training, gone home again and been able to mix with anyone anywhere. Clubs did put special processes in place to try and limit how closely players interacted with each other (no sharing cars to training etc), which meant that if a player did test positive, only he'd have to isolate, assuming everyone else continued to test negatively.

You would imagine with spiralling infection rates, clubs will try and continue this approach as best they can, in order to limit spread if (or more likely: when) infections enter squads.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Not if you're double-jabbed, though :thumbsup:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Just waiting for this to happen to the England football team today. Imagine.

Don't even mutter it. (the same thought did cross my mind though). I would like to think the England squad bubble is tighter than a nuns whatdoyoucallit.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Well, for another month after it will - although after that no need to isolate

Well, yes. But I can't honestly see anyone sticking to that. It's still hugely mixed messages, if you ask me...

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
No, I didn't. The only thing I did read was a report saying that there would be more details about bubbles, self-isolating and travel at a later date.

But if that's the case, then I don't understand it. If coronavirus is that much of an issue to carry on with self-isolating, don't scrap all the rules in place because clearly it isn't 'safe' to do so. If it ISN'T going to be a problem – to the point where 'hands, face space' is a thing of the past – then let people live their lives without fear of having to self-isolate. You can't have it both ways :shrug:

Sadly, it looks more likely we can't have it either way! Seems to me that people isolating, or self-isolating, is going to be almost as disrupting as lockdown was. And no, I don't have any answers - and unlike some, I am starting to have some sympathy for those whose job it is to find some ........................

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Did Sussex have prior knowledge of this and it’s why Salt wasn’t in the XI v Glamorgan?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here