Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Sergio Ramos back at Seville - not Saudi

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
The main reason I am posting this is because it’s the biggest difference in salary I have seen reported since the Saudis started to outbid all the European clubs for players they wanted .

Ramos has gone back to Seville for obvious reasons however his salary as reported I assume accurately by Fab R is around 1 million euros a year . He turned down 15 million euros a year to go to a Saudi club .

I know not quite as difficult to do if you already have previously earned millions but still how many players would turn down 15 x a salary increase.

He has all my respect . Not following the blood money .

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
A lifetime's supply of oranges to that man. Chapeau Senor Ramos.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Well done Sergio, an already rich man follows his heart rather than his wallet.
See it's not so difficult to do is it Jordan?

Would you want to go back to Sunderland ?

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Similar story of Juan Mata rejecting a sizeable offer from a Saudi club to go to Japan instead, citing the country and culture as being more appealing to him.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
All due respect to the views on here, but here in Spain it's a bit more nuanced than the fairytale Ramos is selling. Indeed he's had to release a video apologising to the Sevillistas for the gestures he made to them while a Real player, scoring and celebrating in front of their hard-core with some less than "I'm one of you, Sevillans" sentiment. It could be argued that he saw his home-town club as just the first step to the guaranteed trophies and huge money at Real, and is now returning (at 37) already wealthy, with them in dire straits that they wouldn't be in if Real and Barcelona didn't keep buying their best players, to secure a nice little pension.

Needless to say, I am not a fan of the man. Nothing will convince me he didn't injure Salah deliberately in the Champions' League final (not the only time that's happened in his career) and he's one of those general shit-houses you hate if he's not in your team.

He could have stayed with his home city and won things, where it would have been a much greater achievement. But he went to one of the two giant money/trophy hoovers here, and only now he's reached the age where many of his peers are retiring, does he feel Seville suits him.

(I realise, incidentally, that I have an old-fashioned and entirely sentimental view of football that simply doesn't exist within the game itself. But it's how I feel about it!)

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here