Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Selling a car

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
What’s the best place/format to sell a car these days?
Autotrader
Facebook
EBay
Webuyanycar

Or any other?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
If you're buying a car, Britain's favourite – by far – is Auto Trader (apparently). :rock:

Kids, ask your parents :lolol:

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Not buying, just selling.
Seeing if there are any better platforms to sell on these days

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Motorway was best for me but I think it depends on what you are selling and how attractive it would be to dealers. I was selling a fairly new Audi A6 and got a good deal.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Webuyanycar is part of the same group that owns Cinch, who sponsor Palace.

Just sayin'...

Unless you need to offload something with a real issue I just can't see the point of Webuyanycar. Prices very poor and that's before they knock you down.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Another vote for Motorway - absolutely superb. Got a LOT more than we would have done through other places when we used them recently, and they come and pick up the car too.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I recently used motorway. Car was 4 years old.
I got £1k more than webuyanycar

I was offered £1k more by WBAC than Motorway and 3k more by a dealer. I had no intention of selling, was just being nosey :smile:

Glawstergull

May 21, 2004
GLAWSTERSHIRE
I was offered £1k more by WBAC than Motorway and 3k more by a dealer. I had no intention of selling, was just being nosey :smile:

Motorway don't buy it they put it up for auction and guarantee a reserve value. The bidding is where the gain is. Webuy would also have tried to knock me down in my experience.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Motorway don't buy it they put it up for auction and guarantee a reserve value. The bidding is where the gain is. Webuy would also have tried to knock me down in my experience.

Thanks, interesting

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
What’s the best place/format to sell a car these days?
Autotrader
Facebook
EBay
Webuyanycar

Or any other?

I sold a car on Autotrader last Summer and got about 7-10% more than the comparable quoted offer prices from We Buy Any car and similar sites. I used the video/picture option which cost more but I recall it had an unlimited advertising period. You do get a lot of chancers (Traders who just want a quick bargain to then sell on) but it was worth it in the end (3-4 weeks) depending how quickly you need to sell it

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS

The thing with WBAC is that it's a very quick quote, but I think relies on it being absolutely spotless and perfect. That's why it's so quick ("It's now 30 seconds, Phil!") Once you take it to one of their collection centres (one of which is up at Brighton Racecourse) they will tend to systematically knock down the price. If you decline their offer, they can be "persistent" afterwards. That was the experience of a couple of (separate) people I know.

Motorway do it the other way; they gather information about the car, including getting you to supply photos of all angles/aspects (the app makes this a doddle), before coming up with a price. When whoever has bought it, comes to pick it up, they'll also do a once-over of the car, but unless you've lied or had a prang since, there should be nothing to worry about.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Old banger? Classic? Decent runabout?
Facebook seems a popular option these days, though I'd say better for selling than buying judging by the amount of "be sad to get rid of our great family car" "selling for my uncle" and similar posts you get where of you look at the sellers other items you discover they've got at least half a dozen cars to upgrade in the family and enough uncles to suggest the grandparents were wide hipped and horny devout Catholics.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
It’s a Mini Cooper D
2013, autotrader online valuation was about £4600
Car is surplus. Wife has a car and I have my van so in no rush but want to get it sold

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Last car I sold, I got more from the scrappie than We Buy Any Car offered.

I think WBAC are focussed on age, regardless to some extent how nice the old car is, and how well it runs. I wish I could hack their website so that when they offer somebody a couple of hundred quid for a 15/20 year old car, I could contact the would be seller, see if the car was actualy any good and then offer them twice that. Win all round!

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Another vote for Motorway. More work for you up front, but the price they quote is the minimum you'll get (or you can choose not to sell). Our experience, we got a lot more than anyone else was offering through them.

FWIW, at the time we were told that the difference between WBAC and Motorway is that the latter simply acts as an intermediary putting your car into the dealer auction. They then take commission from the dealer who wins, and when they come to pick up the price is guaranteed unless the dealer can find a significant fault that wasn't declared. Pre-Cinch, WBAC were buying the car from you directly and then flipping it in the auctions themselves (hence why they always try to knock the price down - they want to buy at a price low enough that they can be certain of a profit at auction). Post-Cinch, they'll be buying it as low as possible and then selling as high as possible via Cinch (for those cars that meet the Cinch business model).

Motorway - because they work via commission - don't have that business-driven need to lowball the price. In fact, they want to help you achieve the highest price possible - and we found that they made it very easy to do.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here