Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Seaspiracy - Anyone watched this on Netflix

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Some crazy claims being made. If true to commercial fishing industry has a lot to answer for.

Around half of the plastics in the Great Pacific Garbage Patch is fishing nets etc.

Dolphin friendly tuna is anything but.

If we continue fishing as we are the oceans will be empty by 2048

Horrific stuff. Surely this is over the top scare mongering?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Some crazy claims being made. If true to commercial fishing industry has a lot to answer for.

Around half of the plastics in the Great Pacific Garbage Patch is fishing nets etc.

Post starter " Badfish " .... irony alert at maximum !

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
So in reaction to this documentary, people are actually saying that global fish stocks AREN’T in crisis? Bream on!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Well maybe, hopefully even, over the top scare mongering will be enough to make us finally wake up, and do something about it!

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
If it's anything like Conspiracy, it'll be highlighting an important issue but making some fairly outlandish claims to do so.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Sorry about my previous post, I could not resist !

On a serious note, things are bad but I'd like to think that awareness is slowly coming and things are changing, The sea is a very sustainable source of food if managed properly rather than the free for all we seem to have now. Locally you may well be aware of the efforts of Greenpeace to close a large area of the sea to trawling by dumping strategically placed rocks on the sea bed south east of Brighton and the recent ban on trawling from Brighton to Selsey Bill also helps. There is also a trawling ban that covers the area of the Rampion wind farm which also helps our local environment. So, fish and seaweed will have a chance to recover all being well.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Sorry about my previous post, I could not resist !

On a serious note, things are bad but I'd like to think that awareness is slowly coming and things are changing, The sea is a very sustainable source of food if managed properly rather than the free for all we seem to have now. Locally you may well be aware of the efforts of Greenpeace to close a large area of the sea to trawling by dumping strategically placed rocks on the sea bed south east of Brighton and the recent ban on trawling from Brighton to Selsey Bill also helps. There is also a trawling ban that covers the area of the Rampion wind farm which also helps our local environment. So, fish and seaweed will have a chance to recover all being well.

Interesting stuff and a step in the right direction but the accusations in this film are incredible and if even part of it is true it's horrific.

I don't eat much fish or seafood and this will drop further after watching this.

My meat consumption is dropping too. I had a veggie curry take away that was far nicer than the lamb one I usually have.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Interesting but not that many of the claims are challenged.

I haven't seen it but I imagine, as with Cowspiracy, the general thrust of the argument is valid. It's a shame the makers feel the need to burnish this with more tenuous claims and alarmist rhetoric but I guess if it raises awareness it's a good thing overall.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England

Was going to start watching this last night I actually. Probably isnt over the over the top scare mongering. It's quite extraordinary how much us humans have ****ed up the planet is such a minuscule amount of time. Was thinking about this whilst clicking no on the faith in humanity poll

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
We've absolutely haddock.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here