Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Seagulls V Mariners - Memories

wardy wonder land

Dec 10, 2007
i went to both those (necastle away, grimsby away) i was at nottingham poly 91-94 so very handy for loads of away games

drank in a pub called the suusex arms before the game fun fact - Grimsby town FC ground is actually in Cleethorpes

newcastle way - totally robbed them 89 mins of defending & 1 attack

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
My only trip to Grimsby was the 2-2 relegation game. My main memory was that Grimsby took forever to drive to ,

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Yes I was there , I think it was 76 , the previous Tuesday we had played Ipswich who were in the top division back then and knocked them out of the league cup after a replay
Didn’t we beat hem 4-0 or similar in the home game? Vaguely recall that.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I went there from University in Cambridge on a cold Tuesday night in 1992 - my only trip there. I seem to remember us winning 1-0 and enjoying a great bag of chips from the local chippy, and the lady commenting how far we had travelled (although we did confess we had only come up from Cambridge).

Think if I'm right Mark Gall scored. How times have changed!

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
I was also in that stand for that game - because that's where the comp tickets were for. I was also going to comment on that view - spectacular! Compares to the view across Newcastle from their away end (or level).
Must have been Melia's last game as manager.
The Findus family stand. My god brings back the memory of the worst ever BHA experience. We got off at Grimsby not Cleethorpes, walked miles in the rain, lost 5-0, Chris Ramsey playing below Sunday league standard, soaked, -no roof - then back on a cold damp chugger diesel train wallowing along all the way back to London. As shit as it gets.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
I was there when Adams had a touchline bust up with their manager, year or score is well beyond me!
I remember I couldn't get a ticket to the final game of the season when I thought it was a promotion game but now looking at other posts maybe it was avoiding relegation.............and maybe it wasn't Adams what am I doing here????

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
There was a few minutes when we were safe on paper - it may have been another game then - but I definitely remember the buzz and then the huge down again!
Could be - I was probably pissed - in fact I think I was pissed from the moment I stepped foot in Cleethorpes the night before to the moment I got home again 🤣

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
I remember another visit was under Mullery 2 when we won 2-1 just after New Year in 87. That gave us hope in the relegation battle.
But it was not to be - Mullers left soon after and we went down that season.
Question - when did they change ends for the away fans at Grimsby?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I was also in that stand for that game - because that's where the comp tickets were for. I was also going to comment on that view - spectacular! Compares to the view across Newcastle from their away end (or level).
Must have been Melia's last game as manager.
Before he returned in the North Stand v Sheff Wed and was lifted shoulder high by the fans. Rumours abounded beforehand that he was going to put in an appearance and when he did, the ' Sun, Mirror etc ' boys all raced round there whilst the ' broadsheet ' boys all remained haughtily in the press box. Amazing scenes.
I digress....Grimsby.....never been.....don't think I've missed much.

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
Also at the 2-2 game. Made a weekend of it in Cleethorpes. I remember the day of the game was baking. Vague memories of a fat lad in the home stand to our right getting a lot of stick. Got absolutely hammered in a dodgy club on Cleethorpes pier, none of us could face the journey back in the morning so stayed another day. Was freezing the next day, though. Memories of a beer festival and playing pitch and putt. Finally checked out and the realisation of relegation sunk in when the landlord wished us farewell with "see you next year, boys". Not been back.

WildWood

Sep 6, 2011
Chichester
Me in the dodgy shades at the 2-2 game at Grimsby, caught by the Sky cameras, celebrating Bobby tucking away that penalty (his last goal for us the first time round from memory?)

Little did I know the celebrations were for nothing….

Attachments

• AED3F8BF-1D9A-439F-AB2A-05464C885715.jpeg
    AED3F8BF-1D9A-439F-AB2A-05464C885715.jpeg
    261.1 KB · Views: 29

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Been a while since we have played GTFC so wondering what memories people have of games past.

Mine are
83/84 - grubbed 5-0 on a blustery day in October, a grim (see what I did there?) indeed.

84/85 - 2-0 down with 15 mins to go, 2-1 down with about 5 mins left - and we won 4-2, I think Hansie Kray scored for us and went a bit Krayzee… forgive me. This kept our play off dreams alive for a bit longer.

2002/3 the home game where we were desperate to stop the rot , and lost 2-1. The away game, final game of the season, drinking beer bought from the Co-op next door to the pub near the ground on a sunny day, drew 2-2 and a twunt (Michael Keane?) scoring their equaliser in a 2-2 draw and making the thumbs down gesture at the Albion fans, which was not apprecited - we both went down….

Over to you lot….
I was at that final game of the 2002/3 season. We had to win to have any chance of staying up. As it happened a win would have made no difference. Depressing. What a difference 20 years makes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here