Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Scouts/Scouting network. who are you?

Smirko

Aug 19, 2011
Brighton
Anyone got knowledge about who our scouts are and what sort of scouting network we have if any?

Have done the business in our acquisitions recently Credit where credit is due.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Bear Grylls is in charge of the scouts these days. It's all a lot different to the nightmare of damp tents and raw sausages that I remember from the late 1970 s. it's all eating scorpions and elephant shit fro what I've seen of his TV show.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Zigor Aranalde returned as our International scouting manager, and a bloke called Darren Wrack is our UK Scouting manager.

Presumably there are freelance scouts working under them.

How do freelance scouts work ??

Wouldnt they be Agents .....

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
How do freelance scouts work ??

Wouldnt they be Agents .....

I'd guess it's people who look for promising players, tell clubs about them and then get a small fee if the player in question is scouted/signed. So almost like agents who are looking for players, but there's no link between them afterwards.

Smirko

Aug 19, 2011
Brighton
What allegiance do they have to any particular club then if they are free lance? The one that pays the most?

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
The seagulls player report on Ulloa's signing had a short section on the scouting network used to find him, it looked pretty intricate. I'd love to see more of this stuff.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I'd guess it's people who look for promising players, tell clubs about them and then get a small fee if the player in question is scouted/signed. So almost like agents who are looking for players, but there's no link between them afterwards.

No thats agents .....

Scouts go scouting for an employer ( a club ), agents do however scout talent.

They are distinctly different.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Isn't it something to do with Mervyn Day these...er...days?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
We would have international, national and regional scouts, it would be likely that these would all be employed directly by the club.

The international scouts would have contacts in all countries, some covered better than others but contacts, agents and coaches would be part of their 'team' spreading themselves further.

How money beyond the full-time staff is appropriated through those contacts is anyone's guess, but as was mentioned some kind of exclusive link to the club would be critical, so maybe retainers are a likely way to encourage that.

Above youth or development levels you cant help thinking that most know who are the best players for any particular level, so I am sure making contact with a players agent, establishing their contractual position and offering a good deal is the real key to scouting first team players.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here